Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: NEtwork techs versus DBA's

I gotta network tech that I work with from time to time. Hes gonna migrate a access database over to sql. He says it should be easy its a flat file can just do it through enterprise manager. I warned him that datatypes can become an issue (kinda have to know your db) he looked at me like I'm an idiot and proceeded to migrate the tables over to sql...Needless to say he got alot of error messages and is now totally confused. Now let me ask some experts who really Know Databases, do you ever have problems with Network Techs who think they know all

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    Now let me ask some experts who really Know Databases, do you ever have problems with Network Techs who think they know all
    Is there another kind?!?!

Only the grossly inexperienced are confident that they can do something they've never (or rarely) done. Assuming they survive the first few attempts, they become wary. Once they are experienced, they go in with a jaded eye, trust nothing, and always make sure they have a "plan b" for everything. If they are a true master, they stride in confidently, but with a ginger step and their sidearm drawn... There is no point in leaving things to chance!

-PatP

He says it should be easy its a flat file can just do it through enterprise manager.
    By that line of reasoning, an MDF file is a flat file too. Just because it contains 1000 tables with 4500 relationships, constraints, etc. that shouldn't impeded things, should it ?!?!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Is there another kind?!?!
    That's funny...

We have very segregated departments...server ops, prod dbas, and me...well app dev, system architecture...Pat what would you call...oh right, window washer

Anyway, serverops was running security audits using some tool I forget....they decided that the id the agent was based on was against their security guidline....lucky me was their first guinne pig....hundreds of servers

"Well how did you guys handle this with the other servers?"

"You're the first"

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

had to prove to them that this wasn't a good idea.....and got my Prod dbas (who both work for the same division, so I guess they don't talk)

Painful stuff.....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

wow Pat

Ok that was so well said, I bet you write poetry Pat.
    I swear this guy kept saying look its just a flat file theres nothing complicated about it. Hes one of those guys who think DBA's are a waste of money, and databases are not that important. Of course he has no idea how much databases rule the computer industry. I mean Active Directory is a SQL server db, isnt running our operating systems also?? He makes me so mad when he downs Databases and what their function is. Hes not the only one either all the network techs here think that. Just Annoys me

Are they planning on taking an access front end application and linking it to a sql server backend app with no conversion?

GOOD LUCK
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

pat

Pat your last statement about mdf files I know that it is a flat file, but what do you mean by that statement. Are you saying that the migration should be simply and that the tech was correct in his assumption or were you being Fecious?

Reply to Brett

what hes trying to do is Import the data from an access table to a sql table

Provided Answers: 1
    Upsizing a single Access table to SQL server shouldn't be that difficult, but that doesn't mean it can't be screwed up.

Only a network tech would consider a flatfile to be a database. Even developers recognize the value of normalization, though they still think of the database as nothing more than a file cabinet and never consider using it to implement business rules.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

access to sql

I have learned alot about data types, repeating values..etc though migrating a access table over to sql. No its not difficult if you know what your doing, but the last time I checked he was still getting error messages. I guess because he saw me do it he thought it would be a piece of cake, I mean I'm just an amature what do I know..LOL

1 Access table?

DTS Should have no problem....

How did he try to do it?

And what errors did they get...

Is it in to an existing table

I would create a new table....import the data in to it with the exact access datatypes...

then I'd audit the data...
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Pat your last statement about mdf files I know that it is a flat file, but what do you mean by that statement. Are you saying that the migration should be simply and that the tech was correct in his assumption or were you being Fecious?
    An MDF (SQL Server database) is a "flat file" to the operating system, but it actually contains the SQL database. Within the MDF file, there could be no tables, one table, or a practical infinity of tables. There might be no relations, or thousands. It can also contain stored procedures and triggers, which are snippets of code.

An MDB file (Jet database) is also a flat file to the operating system. It can contain no tables, or a few hundred. There might be no relationships, or a few hundred. Worse yet, the MDB file can actually contain full-blown GUI applications written in VBA!

To give you a short answer, yes I was being quite facetious!

-PatP

He makes me so mad when he downs Databases and what their function is. Hes not the only one either all the network techs here think that. Just Annoys me
    You can think of this as a "learning experience" for him. He'll probably give up and ask you to convert it for him, then grumble that "it took too long" once you've done it. But he'll remember that you did what he couldn't... As I said, a learning experience!

-PatP

Dts

Thats exactly what I used Data Transformation Services to import the data from access to sql

OK...anyone?

Why does this guy have authority to the database?

Sounds like ADMIN as well...

Using sa with a blank password?
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List