Unanswered: ORA-01571: Redo version 8.1.0 incompatible with version 8.0.5

All right. I seem to have stepped in it again. If someone can please help, I would be grateful. Here is the story:

I'm runnning Oracle 8.1.6 on a Windows 2000 server with three instances on the same server. I was in the process of configuring my three Oracle instances to run in ARCHIVELOG mode (it's a long story, but the previous DBA who recently departed insisted for 8 months that hot backups of Oracle were not possible and in fact, we have no backups anywhere of our Oracle databases). I worked out a hot backup process and tested it on our development and test machines. Since the first step is to put the database instances into ARCHIVELOG mode, that is what I was attempting:

1. I set instance A to ARCHIVELOG mode, applied IMMEDIATE and the database would NOT shutdown.

2. I set instance B to ARCHIVELOG mode, applied IMMEDIATE and the database shutdown and restarted normally.

3. I set instance C to ARCHIVELOG mode, applied IMMEDIATE and the database shut down and restarted normally.

I waited for 20 minutes for A to shutdown, but nothing was happening. The help button indicated you can't cancel a shutdown. Taking a deep breath, and not really knowing what I was doing, I rebooted the server without waiting for A to shutdown.

When the server rebooted, I was able to open DBA studio and see A and B were running normally (whew!). However, C indicated that it was still in MOUNTED status.

I checked the radio button for OPEN and hit apply. Then I got the error message above. Mind you, this database HAD restarted normally after I applied the ARCHIVELOG mode change before rebooting the server.

I have tried removing the checkbox on ARCHIVELOG mode. I have tried a bunch of other things. ORAFAQ says that I have to restore the database to a compatible instance of Oracle (8.0.5? I dunno if we even have that CD around).

I'm confused and frustrated. Anything that you might have that might contribute to my enlightenment would be gratefully appreciated.

Maybe I've answered my question.

Somehow, it seems the COMPATIBLE entry in the ifile got changed to 8.0.5. When I changed it to 8.1.0, the database started up right away.

Still baffled, but much relieved,