Unanswered: CR 8 - 10, Bitmap or Jpg images in a report

I have a need to insert a bit map or other image into a report but all I have is the path to bit map eg. c:\vision\picture\phone.bmp. I want to process this into the actual picture and print the picture on the report - any ideas ? Ther could be any number of pictures on the report (1 per record).

cheers

Peter

You can do this by clicking on picture on insert menu and then browse the picture you want to insert.

That will only insert a static picture NOT a dynamic picture which is different for each record of the dataset.

Crystal 9 - dynamic pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Pcoole
    I have a need to insert a bit map or other image into a report but all I have is the path to bit map eg. c:\vision\picture\phone.bmp. I want to process this into the actual picture and print the picture on the report - any ideas ? Ther could be any number of pictures on the report (1 per record).
    I am seeking the identical solution. I am not willing to go with BLOBs.

I am trying to make a student directory with Crystal Reports 9. I have a database table with paths to photos for each individual and the uniqueID (tied to other tables for the rest of the directory information). I understand how to insert a picture and make a dynamic hyperlink but I need the picture itself to be dynamic.

Blob's your answer.

We also need dynamically linked images on our reports; in our case, they are simply pictures of the items in our inventory databases.

I think the blob is the only practical way to do this; we have finally given up on direct access (from Crystal) to our jpeg files and are writing a uitility which builds a thumbnail table for the inventory files with a key and a single blob field containing a 120 x 80 bmp image which I use for the reports. I have tested it on Crystal 9 (and Crystal 7) and it works fine. Our database is Pervasive SQL.

A 120 x 90 color picture is still only about 30k and is good enough quality for the reports I need; even with a large number of images it doesn't take up that much space. Still, if you have need for much higher resolution this could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcoole

cheers

Peter
    Did you ever get this to work without using BLOBs. I have been trying to do the same thing now for weeks and am tearing my hair out.

Partial Solution to Bitmaps on reports

Hi Guys

The only way I have managed to work through this problems so far is to have a static link to an image which I then change as I need the report to print. In this example though I was on printing one record at a time.

If I needed to multiple records I could not see a way around it.

cheers