Thread: Switchboard

Unanswered: Switchboard

I need to make my own switchboard, since I'm using sql tables the built in switchboard that access provides is not available. And I dont know alot of Vb programming so does anyone have an suggestions??

Thank you

I've never used the Access switchboards, prefer to make my own. Bit of a control freak I suppose.
    You can easily make a switchboard, knowing little or no VBA.
    Here's generally the steps you would follow. (Let me know if you need clarification on any of them)

1) Create an unbound form (frmStartup or whatever)
    2) Drop in buttons to open forms and close the db (the button wizard does a decent job of creating the code for you)
    3) Set the startup 'stuff' under Tools-->Startup

I'm attaching a sample to maybe give you ideas.

Sorry if this is over/under simplified (not sure what your Access level is).

HTH,

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

thank you

thats exactly what I created. The thing is I like how the built in switchboard can navigate you from one switchboard to another. If I do that with the switchboard I created I can still see the original...Example
    If I create a reports switchboard then I can press a button on the main swithchboard that will take me to the reports switchboard, thing is the Main switchboard is now gone...not behind the reports switchboard. Does that make any sense???

I've never liked the whole switchboard functionality in Access. I usually use custom Toolbars and Menu Bars. I find this works much better and is easier for users to understand because after all almost eveyr program uses Menu Bars.

I agree with dude. But in regards to your question...I take it you want to close the 'main' switchboard after opening 'reports' or whichever. You can do this with a little bit of code. Let's say you wanted to open "frmReports" and close "frmStartup", create the button and add the DoCmd.Close after the Open:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmReports"
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmStartup"

Then, on the Close button of frmReports, you would have to add the code to Open frmStartup.

As a rule, I add DoCmd.Maximize to the Open buttons, so I don't need to mess with resizing and borders etc.

Let me know if this answers your question. If not I can post an example or 2.

HTH.