Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    796
    Provided Answers: 1

    Question Unanswered: Viewing Triggers

    I've recently started as a DBA working with Oracle 9i & have received the following email from a developer:

    "When the tables XXX and YYY are updated a trigger is fired which updates the changed rows. In order to check that this is not interfering with the Management statistics and EYM processes I need to be able to view these triggers on TargetDB. I was able to view them a month or so ago but that privilege has now been revoked."

    The TargetDb in question was rebuit as a copy of another one about 6 weeks ago, & the developer's privileges were (supposedly) reset to what they were prior to the rebuild.

    Apart from the tables ALL_TRIGGERS & ALL_TRIGGER_COLS is there another way for someone to view triggers? Is there a specific privilege that allows this? Is there an obvious reason (& solution) for the developer not being able to see the triggers?

    Any help/advice will be, as usual, gratefully accepted

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,713

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by cis_groupie
    Apart from the tables ALL_TRIGGERS & ALL_TRIGGER_COLS is there another way for someone to view triggers? Is there a specific privilege that allows this? Is there an obvious reason (& solution) for the developer not being able to see the triggers?
    That is the purpose of these views, to allow users to look at the triggers!
    Not being able to see these trigger tables is a permission issue.

    Logon as system and:

    Code:
    grant select on ALL_TRIGGERS to developer;
    grant select on ALL_TRIGGER_COLS to developer;
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    796
    Provided Answers: 1
    LKBrwn_DBA,

    Thanks for that - I was starting to think that I had fallen asleep half-way through the lesson about privileges! I had checked that he had been granted the 'select' permission on those 2 tables but as you can see from his email he reckons he hadn't.

    I didn't want to mention it earlier as it may have clouded the issue, but I think the problem is user-related (i.e. he doesn't know what he's doing). I was a reticent to tell him that he was doing something wrong in case I had actually missed something. I can now go back to him!

    Once again, Thanks!

    (90% of user-related problems can be resolved by punching the user - the other 10% by switching off his machine)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •