Unanswered: Statistics Chart

I have data that's related to various dates. I need to have a bar chart for this data by various date ranges. In otherwords, when I select a beginning and an ending date, the chart should update and display a vertical bar chart for the quantities related to dates within that range. Does anyone have a sample database that can get me started? I've worked with date ranges for other databases; however, I've never used a chart before. I hope someone has an example database for this type of chart.

Thanks
    PC

Wrong Tool

Look at Excel this will make you life a lot easier.

Statistics Chart

I have an attendence database with a years worth of data; so using excel would not be convient either. I need an ongoing statistics evaluation. That's why I plan to use a date range in making the chart. Thank for your advice.

Still Use Excel

You can link up Excel to the information in the Access DB. Under Data-Get External Data-New Database Query you can link an Excel worksheet to a table or query from an external Datasource. Access MDB, Oracle, MySQL etc. Excel's tools for graphical reprentation of the data is significantly better than those of access.

Statistics Chart

In examining the Chart Wizard for Excel, it asks for a data range. It doesn't say anything about the possibility of linking. Is the chart and activex? I'm not very familiar with excel charts linking to external data sources, like Access. Is there a sample that I can examine? If excel's chart is an activex, can it be used with an Access form?

Thanks,
    PC
    Last edited by PC User; 07-06-04 at 11:13.

Linking Excel to MS Access

Here is some information to get you started. Once you get the data in you should be able to build your chart from there. This simple example should clarify things for you.

****NOTE******
    zip file contains excel spreadsheet linked to MS Access DB. A graphical representation of the data from access and instructions on how to do it. It is quick and dirty, so it is not the prettiest. but you should get the idea. The link to the DB may have to be restablished.

After you try to refresh the data you will get an error (unless of course you put them both on the desktop for the administrator on the workstation.) Click OK. then a dB login screen will pop. click on DB on the rightside. Point to the folder where you downloaded and extracted the db1.mdb file. Then all should be good to go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Smile Linking Excel to MS Access

Thank you very much for the sample and the instructions. I really appreciate your help on this. This is definately something new to me, since most of my projects are solely in A2K and not Excel. Some follow-up questions though. I wanted to select data using a date range for the chart. Should I program A2K to select the dates or do I program Excel to select the dates? Maybe I should start learning how to program Excel?

Thank again,
    PC

Save the Query

If you save the query you can go back and edit the query to provide you with the desired results. the Tool is very similary to that of the QBE in A2K

Linking Excel to MS Access

These are lots of good ideas. After I get that worked out, I'll look for a way to automate A2K & E2K so its completely user friendly for other employees to use.

Thanks,
    PC