Thread: Soundex

Unanswered: Soundex

Has anyone used SOUNDEX() practically?
    Everytime i look through bol searching for a function i end up playing with soundex and diffference but have never been able (or wanted to take the time) to understand the values they generate..

just asking.

I'm working on a free assignment (could have been some $$$ involved, but the guy is my friend) where unused area of the disk is dumped with into SQL, 256 chars per block number (2 fields, block# and trash), and extensive search is performed for specific patters. We all know that we mistype a lot, even when naming some important documents. I am actually planning to use that one along with another function that gives you "the distance"...I saw it somewhere and even saved it (I think), but don't remember where and under what name (need to use SOUNDEX I guess)...Maybe someone remembers what that "distance" between words is called?
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Scott ... I am familiar with Soundex used for geneological purposes. Here is an excerpt from http://www.archives.gov/research_roo...s/soundex.html :

The soundex is a coded surname (last name) index based on the way a surname sounds rather than the way it is spelled. Surnames that sound the same, but are spelled differently, like SMITH and SMYTH, have the same code and are filed together. The soundex coding system was developed so that you can find a surname even though it may have been recorded under various spellings.

To search for a particular surname, you must first work out its code.

The coding guide can be found at the url listed above.

HTH
    Tom

I wrote a one time "data cleanser" process for a DMV that used SOUNDEX. They were using a free-text field to enter car models and wanted to "normalize" this data and correct data-entry errors.

As I recall, it was a far from perfect process, but it did end up working.

Regards,

hmscott