Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Access Speed Issues

I have a database that allows a user to query info onto a form. Once the fields are populated the user presses a button and merge's the data with a word document. The problem I am having is this. Sometimes the merge takes only 3-6 seconds. I can live with that but sometimes it takes like 20-30 seconds. Is there something that I can change to make the merge go faster? I tried changing the ending of the merge document to .rtf but that didn't help. If anyone has any ideas I and my staff would be greatful.

Merging is a pain, i have the same speed problems. But i was blaming the Network, cause the network speed "is not that good" *Ahem* here...

Tho i also have the problem that the word merge document opens a second version of my DB what seems to happen some of the time. Do you have the same problem as well?

Greeetz

I seem to agree with what you are saying. The IT people say it might be in the network which seems like it would be easy to fix. I'm not sure. Yes, when I merge a document a second version of the document does appear. Again a big hassel. So, I really don't know what direction to take. I don't have the skills to dig in the network. If anyone has any other ideas please let myself and namliam know. Thanks.

I copied and pasted the whole folder to my c drive and the problem is still there. So, that should rule out the network problem. Maybe its in my code? I don't know. Any ideas?

Well this may be pretty basic but of course be sure to index any fields used for criteria, sorting, or grouping.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

is what you are merging something that would be complicated to do "maunally" through code?

if you open the data as a recordset and open word as an object, you will then be using two fairly quick processes to transfer the data.

I'm a cynic in that I assume that the overhead assoicated with "automated" operations is often the blame for performance issues - in other words, it may simply be a result of the overhead associated with the merge operation. I have yet to come across a situation where an automated operation, although easier to use initially, was better than a self constructed operation that does exactly (and only) what I want and need.

Trace, I agree. I quite successfully open word docs using VBA code and then copy data from the database into them using boomarks...it works a treat.

Well let me shed a little light on the conversation. The reason why I am "automating" the process is due to standardization. Roughly 10 people use this system to write letters to customers. If every user has a different version of a letter on his/hers c:drive it becomes hard to issure internal standards. If I was the only person using this it would be different. Would it help if I posted the code for the merge button? Thanks.

Then using word with bookmarks should work well for you. Position a template on the network (probably next to the DB is a good place) and use VBA to open the template file in Word and populate the important fields.

Actually, can you use a report instead of a word doc? Using a utility called Snapshot, you can output the report to an uneditable, but easily printed and distributed format (kind of like PDF, except Snapshot is free and designed specifically for Access).

It would be simple, fast and reliable (which can sometiomes be a lot to ask of Microsoft)

For info on Snapshot, check out http://www.dbforums.com/t1002705.html

Have fun!

I actually thought of that but sometimes the user is forced to change the details of the letter which would not be possible in a report. Secondly, it would take a long time to contruct the 50 some odd letters that are currently being used.

Angry

I am having more or less the same problems...

I have tried to merge a word-doc with access, but its pretty complex. So i tried doing VBA and automation creating the documents i need. I works OK, but after 20 or so pages i get an error (in word) something about "Document to complex" (will post the exact error later). This is probably cause i am switching between formats (to) much. But this needs to be done.

I need to generate a document thats about 200 pages ...

Greetz

Lightbulb

Don't know if this is relevant in your case, but one general tip to increase performance ("significantly", compared with not doing it) is to make sure you have indexed at least the FIRST column in combo boxes involved.

D.
    Win-XP pro, Access 2002, ADO 2.7, DAO 3.6. English versions of apps/OS.

Document format too complex

I have received the "Formatting in this document is too complex" error myself - just working in Word (no other apps involved) while writing engineering validation protocols. And it only took a dozen or two pages to trigger it.

It can generally be resolved by full saving the document, exiting (to clear the undo buffer) and reopening it. But often, if what the error says is true, you'll get it back. My folley is complex tables and embedded images, although complex formatting can do it to.

Microsoft claims it to be a different issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;292174

In any case, in your 200+ page document that contains complex formatting (how was it accomplished pre-windows?), since you are creating the document through code, there's no reason you couldn't break it into more than 1 document - just index the filename. Hard Page breaks and Hard Section breaks make a good place to jump to the next document.

One other thing: if you just have complex formatting, strictly speaking, switching formats is not too resource heavy (it just means more tags in the code for the document). What drains the resources is keeping the screen display accurate. While your code is running, make Word hidden.

Good luck

Talking

I did also find the article you linked and found it of NO VALUE WHAT SO EVER (what new with M$ KB?! Ok sometime there is something of REAL value... sometimes....)

Indeed just putting a save command in did the trick. I had it outside my output look, to save after the last records. But putting it inside does the trick thanks, i guess i should have thought of that. *GRMBL*

I know about hiding word. But i dont want to do that while i am not sure of my stuff, if any error pops your busted.... First finish with visible, then go with invisible.... But again thanx for the heads up...

And thanx for a nicely answered question....

Greetz

I average about 3 combo boxes on my forms and I would like to know how to index them as suggested above. Maybe this will help the performance of the merge.