Unanswered: Unexplained Log File Growth

We have a SQL 2000 database here. As of 3 days ago, it was about 75 megs ( 73 Data / 2 log ). As of today, it is 73 Meg Data / 15 GIG log. The log file went from 2 MEG to 15 GIG in a matter of days, yet the data file size has not changed. also, there are NO users to this database - it's new and has not been placed into production yet. I currently don't have any idea as to what happened - I'm looking into Lumigent's log explorer software now. Does anyone have an explanation as to why the log file would have increased 6000X in size, yet the data is not any larger ?

Thanks,

JK

Check for database model (full or simple), for open transactions, all activities on server. Log will not grow by itself.

no direct thought but i'd take a look at any scheduled jobs you may have.
    i'd also audit the security to make _sure_ nobody is on the box without you being aware.
    note that the log will grow for transactions even if they don't create data - or if they get rolled back - your data does not have to 'grow' for there to be log growth.
    cheers!

The Recovery model is full. DBCC OPENTRAN doesn't show anything, but the log file isn't currently growing.

This database was just recently created. It had been sitting silent for 3 weeks at 75 Megs, with no users. There aren't any jobs or maintenance plans for the database, but there are plenty of jobs and plans for the OTHER databases on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by JaffaKREE
    there are NO users to this database
    OK...so what did YOU do.

It's either that, or there ARE users in there, or it's the Miracle thing

Sounds like a massive INSERT INTO ...SELECT

And the to Clear out the data DELETE FROM TABLE

With no maintenance

No Miracles

Check this out

http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=16785
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

when you say 'no users' do you mean there are no declared users for the database or that no other people were using it. a minor difference with potentially major implications.
    though, even with no declared users anyone in the sysadmin role can still get to it. and anyone who may have had their login aliased to 'dbo'. (i'd select all the rows from sysusers in the database to see if there are any aliases)
    the only thing i can think of (since you're sure you didnt run anything in this database) is there must be someone else that was able to access the database, and did.
    i can't fathom a t-log growing with t's. i can fathom unauthorized/intended access though!
    a strange incident, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by JaffaKREE
    The Recovery model is full. DBCC OPENTRAN doesn't show anything, but the log file isn't currently growing.

This database was just recently created. It had been sitting silent for 3 weeks at 75 Megs, with no users. There aren't any jobs or maintenance plans for the database, but there are plenty of jobs and plans for the OTHER databases on the box.
    Are you doing backup log on regular base? Otherwise log will leep all transactions and grow...