Thread: locks

Unanswered: locks

I Have 359 locks on MY Database ,They are always there on my DB.The DB is a development database and lots of summary Stored procedures will be running on this DB.
    Does it effect the performance.How can I remove those locks.
    Thanks.

HEre is the info about the locks.

spid dbid objid indid type resource mode status
    51 8 0 0 DB s GRANT
    52 8 0 0 DB s GRANT
    53 8 0 0 DB s GRANT

444 8 0 0 DB s GRANT

I Have 359 locks on MY Database ,They are always there on my DB.The DB is a development database and lots of summary Stored procedures will be running on this DB.
    Does it effect the performance.How can I remove those locks.
    Thanks.

no worries, mate.
    all is right with the world.
    locks are an essential operating function.
    BLOCKS are a different matter all together. (EDIT: note that blocks are results of exclusive locks...so they are related)
    Now...SOME types of locks can hinder SOME types of operations from a performance perspective...but i wouldnt personally fret about it unless i was troublehsooting an actual problem.

For a primer go to SQL Books Online, Accessing and Changing Relational Data, Locking, Understanding Locking in SQL Server.

Note: if locks scare you or your procedures are runnning too slow and you just wanna see how they work without them use the (nolock) table hint in all your select statements. It would help to understand the concept of a dirty read, though - it might not matter if this is a warehouse and not transactional.

Cheers!
    Last edited by oddity; 07-01-04 at 16:17.