Unanswered: Oracle backup inventory

Is there any oracle dictionary table which keeps track of backups taken via alter tablespace begin/end command on AIX, Oracle 8.1.7?

dollar

select * from v$backup;

HTH
    Gregg

Dollar,

The v$backup view that Gregg mentioned will work fine if the backup is currently running. I'm not sure what you are asking here. If you want some kind of history of the backups taken using alter tablespace begin/end backup commands, then no, I don't believe there is a data dictionary table that archives that information. For that, you'd need something like the RMAN recovery catalog, which will keep a historical listing of all backups taken whether they be control file, archive log, datafile, or tablespace backups.

v$backup shows:
    FILE# File identifier
    STATUS File status: NOT ACTIVE, ACTIVE (backup in progress), OFFLINE NORMAL, or description of an error
    CHANGE# System change number when backup started
    TIME Time the backup started

Others information can be found in other v$backup views:
    ie;
    v$backup_datafile:

RECID Backup datafile record ID
    STAMP Backup datafile record stamp
    SET_STAMP Backup set stamp
    SET_COUNT Backup set count
    FILE# Datafile number. Set to 0 for control file
    CREATION_CHANGE# Creation change of the datafile
    CREATION_TIME Creation timestamp of the datafile
    RESETLOGS_CHANGE# Resetlogs change# of the datafile when it was backed up
    RESETLOGS_TIME Resetlogs timestamp of the datafile when it was backed up
    INCREMENTAL_LEVEL (0-4) incremental backup level
    INCREMENTAL_CHANGE# All blocks changed after incremental change# is included in this backup. Set to 0 for a full backup
    CHECKPOINT_CHANGE# All changes up to checkpoint change# are included in this backup
    CHECKPOINT_TIME Timestamp of the checkpoint
    ABSOLUTE_FUZZY_CHANGE# Highest change# in this backup
    MARKED_CORRUPT Number of blocks marked corrupt
    MEDIA_CORRUPT Number of blocks media corrupt
    LOGICALLY_CORRUPT Number of blocks logically corrupt
    DATAFILE_BLOCKS Size of the datafile in blocks at backup time. This value is also the number of blocks taken by the datafile restarted from this backup
    BLOCKS Size of the backup datafile in blocks. Unused blocks are not copied to the backup
    BLOCK_SIZE Block size
    OLDEST_OFFLINE_RANGE The RECID of the oldest offline range record in this backup control file. 0 for datafile backups
    COMPLETION_TIME The time completed

Others include v$backup_set, v$backup_redolog etc ...

HTH
    Gregg

I stand corrected - sort of

Gregg is correct in that the v$backup_XXXX views are populated with some historical information, but I believe they are only populated by RMAN. So I guess you don't really need the catalog. However (and this again comes back to needing clarification from your original question) you can issue an ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP command and then phycially copy your datafiles for that tablespace without using RMAN at all, which I believe will NOT populate any of the v$backup_XXXX tables.

v$backup is the only view that is populated outside of RMAN.

Gregg

My apologies for getting back late at this but you guys did answer few of my concerns. To further clarify I wanted to know if historical backup information is kept somewhere in data dictionary table with/without the use of RMAN. I have used v$backup but again it does not contain all the information I want. I am thinking of creating a table of my own and code my backup script such that after a tablespace backup is successfull, I make an entry with information such as tablespace name, time etc.

Thanks.

dollar