Unanswered: Password problems FileMaker 7

Hi,

I create a big file with a lot of information and added the password and the username to the file. But FM7 is not accepting the password. Is there any way that I can reset the password or see if I typed it different.

Urgent!
    Thank You.
    Last edited by fm7newuser; 07-02-04 at 15:03.

Not that I know of... I usually do not create passwords at all until a project is finished, and then I immediately make 2 admin passwords just in case I miskey or forget one. I've read about security experts who were able to break into FileMaker 4-6 databases using custom tools and security methods but it took hours and they were pros.

Try CAPS settings, try another keyboard (maybe a key is sticking or not sending input), or try almost passwords. Once I typed so fast and hit return before I saw what was typed that I could not get back in until I typed really fast again and repeated my miskey.
    --ST

From what I have heard, there is no way to retrieve an ADMIN password in FMP 7 as it is stored after encryption....

THanx
    Edmonton

If it is a converted solution ...

If the solution is converted from FileMaker 3-4-5-6 there is a good chance that there might be a login.
    Use the login like this: Erase the login name, write the password OR maybe no password an press enter.

Quote Originally Posted by fm7newuser
    Hi,

I create a big file with a lot of information and added the password and the username to the file. But FM7 is not accepting the password. Is there any way that I can reset the password or see if I typed it different.

Urgent!
    Thank You.

Security intregrated in the development process

With small and internal projects Steve's approach is probably OK. But when developing larger/mission critic projects I believe that it is strongly recomended to integrate the security model in the developmen process.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve T.
    I usually do not create passwords at all until a project is finished, and then I immediately make 2 admin passwords just in case I miskey or forget one.--ST

Post FM7 Passwords

First, the bad news:
    There is NO WAY (currently) to bypass the FM7 security.

Now, the GOOD news:
    Even if you created a brand new file and never added any fields, tables, privileges sets or anything else to the file, FileMaker 7 by default creates two accounts for you upon creation of a new database.

Those two accounts (unless you deleted them) are...
    Account Name: Admin
    Password: (blank)
    Access level: Full Access

Account Name: Guest
    Password: (blank)
    Access level: Read-Only

As long as you have not removed these default accounts, you should be able to get into your files with the Admin account.

For all previous files in FM versions 3.0-6.0v4, I can provide you with passwords easily and within one hour if you will send a copy of the file.

Red face FMP 7 passwords CAN be recovered...

First off, FMP7 passwords are case sensitive...

Second off, there IS a way to crack most FMP7 passwords. I use to be able to crack all FMP7 passwords, but FMP has changed the encryption with 7.03 so it may be another month or so before I can do all FMP7 files again.

Certainly, opening FMP 4/5/6 files are not a problem, as long as the password has not been removed with the developer tool.

At this stage, I can try and see....

If you need help, let me know...

Joe King
    joe@fmp7.com
    ----

Joe King
    FileMaker Developer's Network
    joe@fmdevelopersnetwork.com