Unhappy Unanswered: Archiving redologs remotely

Hi all,

i am trying to find out whether i can automatically transfer my archived redologs off to another, remote server, at the same time that they get archived to a local filesystem (log_archive_dest_1 & log_archive_dest_2) ??

i don't want them to go to a standby (yet) - i just want them to go across to another box for storage, in case we need them for a recovery.

i've tried setting it up using "archive_dest_2='SERVICE....." but it tells me the remote location is not a standby database (which is true) and everything on metalink is related to standby/dataguard.

if anyone has any ideas, i'd be eternally grateful for their input.

TIA,

Ric.

Did you try mapping a drive to the remote location? Try the below init.ora params.

log_archive_dest_2 = 'LOCATION=m:\arclogs OPTIONAL'
    log_archive_dest_state_2 = enable

I included the keyword OPTIONAL because mapped drives are not always accessible. If the remote server gets rebooted you don't want your local Oracle database to hang/crash.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Markrem,

my bad - i should have mentioned i'm on RedHat8, and not windows, in my first post.

thanks for you suggestion anyway.

Ric.

The parameters are the same, but the drive syntax is different. Change m:\arclogs to /remotearclogs, or whatever you named your pointer to the remote drive. Oracle does not support datafiles over UFS shares, but it should work fine for arclogs.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm