Unanswered: Stored procedures and file system

I've read that Stored Functions have access to the file system - like reading flat files etc. may be possible.

But is the same possible from within Stored Procedures? I am trying to create a SP with a LOAD statement and it seems like its not right.

Could someone help?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by saltbits
    I've read that Stored Functions have access to the file system - like reading flat files etc. may be possible.

But is the same possible from within Stored Procedures? I am trying to create a SP with a LOAD statement and it seems like its not right.

Could someone help?
    Thanks.
    What type of Stored Procedure? (ie. SQL? C?)
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Just plain SQL SP. And by the way, going by your reply to my question on another thread - the SP is using LOAD to database table, not temporary table (was just trying an alternative...)

Thanks.

Just plain SQL SP. And by the way, going by your reply to my question on another thread - the SP is using LOAD to database table, not temporary table (was just trying an alternative...)

Thanks.
    Unfortunately I don't think LOAD is supported from an SQL Stored Proc... maybe someone will correct me.

What's the problem you're trying to solve? Maybe there's another way to kick that cat.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

>What's the problem you're trying to solve? Maybe there's another way to kick that cat.

OK, here is what I need to do:
    I have to read a txt file that has one column worth of data. I update a certain table in the db where PK = the value read from the flat file - like this:
    UPDATE Table1 SET stat='FAILURE' WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Temp1 WHERE Table1.PK = Temp1.key);

I was hoping that Temp1 would be a global temp table which I now know I cant use. So basically, its a question of an alternative way to read the flat file and use it in the update statement.

(I am doing all this in UNIX, so if there is a UNIX way to do it all, that would help too!)

Thanks a lot.

>What's the problem you're trying to solve? Maybe there's another way to kick that cat.

OK, here is what I need to do:
    I have to read a txt file that has one column worth of data. I update a certain table in the db where PK = the value read from the flat file - like this:
    UPDATE Table1 SET stat='FAILURE' WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Temp1 WHERE Table1.PK = Temp1.key);

I was hoping that Temp1 would be a global temp table which I now know I cant use. So basically, its a question of an alternative way to read the flat file and use it in the update statement.

(I am doing all this in UNIX, so if there is a UNIX way to do it all, that would help too!)

Thanks a lot.
    What about a shell script? ie. if your db name is SAMPLE and your file is lines.txt:

#!/bin/ksh

db2 CONNECT TO SAMPLE
    for val in `cat lines.txt`
    do
    db2 UPDATE Table1 SET stat=\'FAILURE\' WHERE Table1.PK = \'$val\'
    done
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Provided Answers: 1
    Something like this?
    Code:
    awk '{"db2 update table1 set stat='\''"FAILURE"'\''" where pk=" $1}' your_txt_file | sh
    May be a bit slow to run but quick to implement :-)

Great! I think I will just try these UNIX ways.

Thanks a lot, everyone.