Question Unanswered: Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start. Pls Help

in win200 i turned all the services related to oracle to manual. then when i start OracleServiceAtishay (Atishay is service), it gives following error message.
    Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start
    or control request in a timely fashion.
    and then the service hangs on displaying message "starting".
    What is the proglem. please help.
    Version; Oracle 9.2

The database may be taking too long to start, and a Windows timeout occurs related to the service. This generally indicates the database cannot be started due to needing recovery or some other DBA activity. Here is what I do to check the situation:

1. Go to the Win registry and set parameter ORA_ATISHAY_AUTOSTART to FALSE, then stop and restart the Windows service. This allows Windows to initialize thread space without starting either the instance or database.

2. Open a DOS or Command prompt window, and log into the database as any SYSDBA. For example,
    set oracle_sid=atishay
    sqlplus /nolog
    connect / as sysdba

3. Start the instance but not the database, to be sure this is not the problem, using the command STARTUP NOMOUNT

4. Mount the control files, but do not open the database to see if you have control file corruption, using the command ALTER DATABASE MOUNT

5. Open the database using the command ALTER DATABASE OPEN

My guess is this last step will return an error about needing some DBA help, such as a backup was in progress when the database was last shutdown.

VERY IMPORTANT **** On Windows you should set registry key WaitToKillAppTimeout. This tells Windows how long to wait during a service stop command before killing the service (and effectively doing a Shutdown Abort on your database which is what got you into this mess in the first place.) If you don't do this, then key ORA_ATISHAY_SHUTTYPE=i is basically ignored and your database must undergo crash recovery every time you restart the service (except on most developer databases where there not enough transactions going to.)
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm