Unanswered: lost root user on new dedicated server!

Okay, so I just got a small dedicated server (running RedHat Linux and MySQL 3.23) and I've been working at getting everything setup. Most of what I've been administering has been through Plesk up until this point but when I decided to move my databases over Plesk's version of phpMyAdmin just wasn't working for me so I decided to ssh in and do it myself. The only problem is that I can't get the root user to work! At first I had a root user that I created in Plesk but it turned out to not have full Grant access so I deleted it through Plesk expecting to be able to fix it through the command prompt. I followed the instructions at the mysql site for resetting privleges but when I run the last command: mysqladmin -u root flush-privileges password "mypass" it get this error:
    unable to change password; error: 'Can't find any matching row in the user table'

How is it that I don't have a root user? I haven't created any other users so how do I gain back access to MySQL without entire reloading the system?

Thanks,
    Greg

I just wonder if your server was installed on a local machine. Because I worked with 3.23 on a local machine and if that is the case, MySQL server requires a root described both for "localhost" and any specific remote machine or for all remote machines, I mean "%"....Is your root account described for both or just for localhost...I am not quite sure..but I think you should check that...

not sure

Hmmm, I think I understand what you're saying but my problem is coming from the command line so technically at that point I should be on the machine as localhost. I'm pretty sure Plesk has created a "root" user of its own because I can still add databases and users (with limited grants) with it. However, its not called "root" since MySQL is claiming that there is no user by that name. Is there anyway, as a limited MySQL user or as a root user of the actual machine to find out what the list of MySQL users is so then I could reset that password?

Thanks,
    Greg

Yes I see now...I am using MS WinNT and I can use an administrative software called as EMS MySQL Manager Ver. 2.0...and I dont know what you can use to manage users of your server. Maybe you should check EMS Hi-Tech web site for a linux version of that software. But I know a free PHP based program as PHPMyAdmin. It can work on every internet browser...including netscape I think, maybe you should try that one..

And there must be a system table callsed user including in your users information under ....\mysql\data\mysql directory....but all password information are encrypted in that table..

I think you need an administration software badly....

Good Luck...
    Inanc

This may help you on resetting root:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Re...rmissions.html