Unanswered: Numeric Overflow

Hi guys, I am getting an odd Numeric Overflow error that hopefully someone can shed some light on. I have a linked .csv file that I use a make table query to create a static table in my database. I use an SQL program to access an Oracle database and run a query that returns records from a very large database. This is a production database that tends to get very slow at times so we simply extract the data we need into a local copy our department uses. The data is exported into a .csv file as it has 680,000+ records. I link this file and create a static table and sometimes I get a Numeric Field Overflow error. If I open the query in design mode and change the query type to a select query, it runs fine. I can then change it back to a make table again and it runs fine. I really don't even have to run the select query, I can change it from one to the other and it works fine again. Any suggestions? I have checked the data type and they are all consistent throughout. It has me stumped.

It seems that when you are importing you are importing a larger numeric datatype into a smaller one (i.e. a long into an integer), when you do the select statement Access automatically chooses a datatype that fits all values. Make sure your import data types are large enough for all values in all fields in your *.csv file.
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!