Unanswered: Questions on ASE 11.9.2.5

On a Windows 2000 server, how many CPU's has anyone gotten Sybase to use properly.

IE, can I effectively use a quad processor box or are the people who are telling me it won't help right?

Also, I was curious if anyone has old war stories about using a remote backup server. I was considering testing it out as a way to balance out some load, but I'd like to hear about people's experiences first.

Sorry if this has been answered before but the search function isn't working for me.

There should not be a problem with ASE on a quad processor Win 2000 box. To take advantage of the 4 CPUs, configure "max online engines" to 4 (or 3 depending on usage of the box by other application).

I think there is no need for a remote backup server for doing the backups. Try using the local backup server for backups. Backup jobs do not adversely affect the performance of ASE. So try it out in your env.

We are using Sybase on 12 processor unix box, with "max online engines" set to 11.

I hope this helps.

j

Quote Originally Posted by madamos
    On a Windows 2000 server, how many CPU's has anyone gotten Sybase to use properly.

IE, can I effectively use a quad processor box or are the people who are telling me it won't help right?

Also, I was curious if anyone has old war stories about using a remote backup server. I was considering testing it out as a way to balance out some load, but I'd like to hear about people's experiences first.

Sorry if this has been answered before but the search function isn't working for me.