Unanswered: URGENT HELP pls - Trying to provide painless link to Oracle

Hi Experts,

I have built some Queries in an Access Database that link to tables in a remote Oracle Database using ODBC connections.

Is there a way I can send this Access Database to someone to use it without them having to create their own ODBC links ?

I am also prompted for a password for a user login for the Oracle database.

Is there a way that I can build this in for my users ?

Thanks very much and A QUICK RESPONSE WOULD BE A GREAT HELP !!!

My job may not be on the line - but I will certainly look like a star if I can solve the problem.

Thanks very much.

B.Dimple
    Junior DBA

I would think that the user's should have the same odbc as your tables are linked to ... Have you tried a 'pass-thru' query called from an 'AUTOEXEC' macro at the very beginning (to get around the user/password) ??

Gregg

The DSN (Data Source Name), which uses the ODBC driver, must be configured on every PC running the MSAccess database. You could send along a set of instructions to help them configure one.
    -cf

Thanks for your prompt replies

I don' t know what 'pass-thru' is but I'll try to find out.

The second response seems to imply that what I want to do can't be done.
    Or have I misunderstood it ?

Thanks again.

B.Dimple

Pass-thru query is setup as a special query in which you go directly to the database ... in properties of the design you give the username, password and database ... It doesn't look at any other object in Access, but directly at the database you have given in the pass-thru query... If you have a macro defined as AUTOEXEC, upon starting Access, it will execute whatever you have defined in autoexec first... I setup a pass-thru query to "select x from a database_table".. I then setup an AUTOEXEC macro to call that query... That way I ensure a database connection prior to running an app..

HTH
    Gregg