Unanswered: Exporting columns longer than 254 bytes

I am using the DB2 EXPORT command to export in DEL format like this:

EXPORT TO "4000T2.txt" OF DEL MODIFIED BY NOCHARDEL COLDEL% MESSAGES "4000T2Msg.txt" SELECT * FROM T2;

One of the columns is of size VARCHAR(4000). The exported flat file contains all the 4000 chars but the Message file states a warning message that says that a certain column is over 254 bytes.

Since the exported flat file has my required data, I am tempted to ignore the warning in the message file. Should I take this seriously or will the behaviour of exporting the 4000 chars be consistent no matter the warning??

Thanks for any help.

26 views and no replies. have i really asked such a dumb question?

Somebody please consider helping....

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by saltbits
    I am using the DB2 EXPORT command to export in DEL format like this:

EXPORT TO "4000T2.txt" OF DEL MODIFIED BY NOCHARDEL COLDEL% MESSAGES "4000T2Msg.txt" SELECT * FROM T2;

One of the columns is of size VARCHAR(4000). The exported flat file contains all the 4000 chars but the Message file states a warning message that says that a certain column is over 254 bytes.

Since the exported flat file has my required data, I am tempted to ignore the warning in the message file. Should I take this seriously or will the behaviour of exporting the 4000 chars be consistent no matter the warning??

Thanks for any help.
    It can be safely ignored. I believe the warning exists because of restrictions on creating CHAR() columns >254.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Thanks, Petruk!

Alternatively, you could just export couple of records > 254 char and see the output to satisfy yourself

You are the creator of your own destiny!

Thanks, guru.

I prefer export table that are column with char > 254
    in IXF mode