Unanswered: Using a Word form as a access report backround

Well this is a good one!!!

I was asked if I could produce an Access report using a page from a Word Document? I belive the general idea is to place bound text boxes where information would have been written if the document was in a hard copy.

this way the end user could create the same form electronically and retain the data.. Futher more it could then be called as a report as and when to send a hard copy to an archive. (so much for the paperless office) any ideas guys?

rgds
    gareth

Not sure if I follow what you are saying, but I am going to give it a shot.

You can create a report that looks very similar to your Word document and have the report created as a .rtf file. This Rich Text File format opens in Word. Or just print the report that Access creates and file that.

Is this what you are wanting to know?

Right to clarify

A form was created in Word... This form was intended to be printed and then manually completed by a end user. THEN (for some stupid reason) the user keys the information in to a piece of bespoke software (shhheeeeessshh).

The manually greated form is then filed.

I was asked if i could, and I quote " throw together a database " where the information can be populated and printed after in the exact layout (including codes and tick box options) as the original form from Word.

So being a sly, lazy so and so I thought, How can I maybe import this word created form in to the Report so that all I have to do is add the pre-populated data via bound text boxes.

how that clarifies my previous attempt

regards

gareth

Provided Answers: 1
    You'll have a hell of a time creating a report that's dynamic enough to read bizarre, non-standardized word documents and figure out where to fill in information.

My vote is "not a chance".

Ask them if it's easier for you to take the next 6 months teaching access how to do things it was never meant to do, or have the end user stop being a god damn putz and fill out the form they were provided with in the first place.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Right Teddy

I'll take that as a "cant do it then" lol

Thanks my friend - thought it was a long shot but as always you cant fail without at least trying

regards

gareth

How is this different from printing a report to a preprinted form? It might take a little trial and error but simply lay out your bound text boxes in the proper locations on an otherwise blank report. Alternatively use the access db as source for Word merge document. But maybe I misunderstand the question?

One more possibility

Just playing around I opened up a Word document that we use here as a pre-printed form, copied and pasted into the detail section of a blank access report. Access created an unbound OLE frame (whatever that is) that looks like a big label with the Word document text in it. I set background style to transparent and placed bound text boxes on top in the appropriate places, set the background style of these text boxes to transparent also and everything seems to work fine.