Exclamation Unanswered: Writing A Script

Hi all!
    I'm very new to this field. I've to write a script to transfer a data from a oracle table to a text file . Once done this , in the second step i have to read data from that text file into another Oracle table. It is not neceesary that the structures of the two tables will be same. But i think i will address this issue later on. At the moment i want a script to read from table and dump it into a text file and then read from the text file and dump it to a table.Assume the structure of table..
    Thanks in advance,
    GuytoRemember.

Provided Answers: 4
    Script that selects data from a database table and writes output into a file should be something like this:
    Code:
    SPOOL filename.txt

SELECT column1, ..., columnx
    FROM table;

SPOOL OFF;
    To insert data from this file into database table, you'll need SQL*Loader utility.
    Read something about it on these pages:
    http://www.orafaq.com/faqloadr.htm
    http://www.oraxcel.com/

However ... why don't you simply select data from one table and insert it into another? Such as (simplified)
    Code:
    INSERT INTO table2
    SELECT * FROM table1;
    Or use EXPORT / IMPORT utility?

Or if the table is in another database, but they can talk to each other through the listeners then use the copy command.

usage: COPY FROM <db> TO <db> <opt> <table> { (<cols>) } USING <sel>
    <db> : database string, e.g., scott/tiger@d:chicago-mktg
    <opt> : ONE of the keywords: APPEND, CREATE, INSERT or REPLACE
    <table>: name of the destination table
    <cols> : a comma-separated list of destination column aliases
    <sel> : any valid SQL SELECT statement
    A missing FROM or TO clause uses the current SQL*Plus connection.

Export/import will make an exact copy of the table. Copy can be used to build up a new table using select. If the table is in the same database, then simply use something like:

insert into new_table select col2,col1,... from old_table where ...

Quote Originally Posted by guytoremember
    Hi all!
    I'm very new to this field. I've to write a script to transfer a data from a oracle table to a text file . Once done this , in the second step i have to read data from that text file into another Oracle table. It is not neceesary that the structures of the two tables will be same. But i think i will address this issue later on. At the moment i want a script to read from table and dump it into a text file and then read from the text file and dump it to a table.Assume the structure of table..
    Thanks in advance,
    GuytoRemember.

hi!
    The structures of the two tables is not similar so a direct import and export cannot be used. Also if a script is wriiten , it will be more generic ans could also be used in another later stage of our project. I've been specifically directed NOT to use import & export. We' need to edit the text files generated and then dump the data into another table. So , i now need to find out how to read it from a file and put it in a table. Proc is a good option which will make things easier but I need to write a Sql Script . Any suggestions folks??
    Thanks in advnace
    Guytoremember

As littlefoot already said, use sqlloader. He even gave links for documentation.

Utl_file

Hi there,
    You can use UTL_FILE utility to write and read file in different structure and different format. Its a predefined oracle package. You can find about UTL_FILE package in pl/sql packages type reference document in OTN.