Unhappy Unanswered: BDE and XP problems.

I've been chasing this problem so long I am at my wits end. I know someone out there has an answer.

VB application developed under VB6 SP3. MSAccess MDB with links to Pdox 4.x tables.

We have had machines running Win98 and 98SE. When this program was first developed, we found that the 98 SE machines had to have the BDE installed to work correctly. I guess that is an MDAC issue between those two editions of Windows. Anyway, the app works on those machines.

I can't get the app to work well on an XP machine. The system takes 5 minutes or so for a SELECT or UPDATE, etc. My connection is as follows:

Set cnCheckit = New ADODB.Connection
    cnChekit.ConnectionString = "Provifer=Microsoft.Jet.OLDB.4.0; Data Source=W:\pdoxdata\ckekit\data\chekit.mdb; Persist Security Info=False"

Some things I know:
    I had to revert back to VB6 SP3 from a SP5 situation because of a similar problem on some machines. I guess MS discontinued Paradox support between 98 and 98SE, but then reinstated support?

Can someone help, please? I need a remedy to be able to use this program for a couple more months on XP, 98, and 98 SE clients. My skills are a bit limited when it comes to this situation and I just can seem to hit the fix.
    Last edited by mikegrills; 07-13-04 at 10:40. Reason: Title

I think you're having far too many layers between your app and your pardox tables.

Surely i'll try to:
    1) Use shorter paths to pdox tables.
    2) Connect DIRECTLY to pdox db, not to an MDB which connects to PDOX tables...
    3) Install the latest BDE, 5.2 which is freely available for download on the web, on every machine, since ADO/Jet NEVER had good drivers for pdox tables...
    4) Verify permissions on the pdox table files and to the PDOXUSR.NET and IDAPI32.CFG files, they should be all to everyone.
    5) It seems you're connecting by network drive: i don't remember where to find them, but i remember there are a number of configs you should do when running pdox tables across a mixed network (9x and NT), you could probably find them on the web, try the site www.thedbcommunity.com

By the way, why are you still using pdox tables if the app is written in VB6?
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

BDE and XP problems

Hi Forum

I have been running Paradox 7 on a Windows 95 machine. I upgraded to anXP machine and tried to install WordPerfect 7 professional Suite and all the programs installed OK except Paradox 7. Got an error message-"could not initialize BDE-operation not applicable" and the program would not come on=
    have tried all that I can, but have had no luck=

Any help to get over this would be appreciated.

Thanks abfnst

paradox 7-not initiallizing BDE

Hi Forum

I have been running Paradox 7 on a Windows 95 machine. I upgraded to anXP machine and tried to install WordPerfect 7 professional Suite and all the programs installed OK except Paradox 7. Got an error message-"could not initialize BDE-operation not applicable" and the program would not come on=
    have tried all that I can, but have had no luck=

Any help to get over this would be appreciated.

Thanks abfnst-

Any way to work around t he error message above and get the darn program to open--I have tried re-installing the data base engine- please need help=abfnst

Not enough information:

There are two possible causes:
    1. There are old *.lck files in the shared network directory.
    2. The .NET file is corrupt.

To fix either, make sure all users, including yourself, are out of The database and Paradox. In Windows Explorer, browse to the shared network directory.

1. Open the directory and check for the two files 'Paradox.lck' and 'Pdoxusrs.lck'. If either or both are present, delete them.

2. Open the directory and check for the file 'Pdoxusrs.net'. Delete it.

If you get a message "access is denied", have all database users restart their pc's then try deleting the file above again, if it is still present. NOTE: The 'Pdoxusrs.net' file will recreate itself when the first user logs back in. It is normal for this file to be present even when no user is in the database.