Thread: Slow Form Load

Question Unanswered: Slow Form Load

I have a split Access DB with a form that shows slowly at startup. The form has a picture control, several combo boxes with their source being from a linked table to the db backend plus several buttons. This happens due to loading the combo boxes source from the db backend but it doesn't always happen.

When the form loads, the buttons and combo boxes slowly appear one at a time.

I don't know if it matters or not but it takes a really long time to save this form if changes are made.

I wondered if anybody else had seen this and if there is a solution.

Is it network issues? Or are both Dbs on one machine? What is the avg. size of the graphics files? How many records are in the tables the combo boxes are refering to?

Performance issues can be hard to fix. How many combo boxes are there? Can any of them be put on another form. Can any of their sources be set dynamically? Example, allow the form to open, then based on a response to the user entering data you set the next combo boxes record source. It will speed up the initial opening and possibly create a small delay moving from one field to the next.

What I did to fix it temporarily is just make the table a local table inside the db instead of a linked table from the backend.

The funny thing is, I have another copy that still uses a linked table and it works fine with no delay! That would lead me to believe it really isn't a network issue maybe just some bug or quirk I haven't found yet.

Provided Answers: 1
    These issues are EXTREMELY difficult to root out..

Is there anything peculiar about the dataset you're pulling? Lots of nested sets? Subselects? Functions? Lots of scrolling on the form? Child dataset spawning?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Another thing that you can do is to deassociate the combo boxes from their underlying queries and set them on form's activate event. That may help