Unanswered: Bulk Insert from a flat file ?

Hi,

How to do a bulk insert from a flat file.

Below is a way to do that :

create table test
    (EMPNO NUMBER(4))
    ORGANIZATION EXTERNAL
    ( type oracle_loader
    default directory data_dir
    access parameters
    ( fields terminated by ',' )
    location ('emp.dat')
    )

But I need a seperate query to load from a flat file, apart from CREATE table statement.

Please advice,
    Sam

After you create the external table, did you try "select * from test"

Hi,

Actually I didn't even tried this query. coz, this is not my requirement, as I said, I need a seperate query to bulk insert the data from a flat file. Is there anything like this in Oracle ?

Thanks,
    Sam.

you create the external table, right? Well, how do you get data from one table to another (in bulk)? Think, think, think. Oh yeah, "insert into a select * from b".

Hi,

I need to get the data from a flat file and not from another table.

Thanks,
    Sam

Okay, this is my last post. Now, you started this whole thing with the create external table command. Do you have clue what that does? Did you read the doc? It creates a table which isn't really a table, but instead is something that looks and acts like a table while reading data from your file. So, the external table (you named it TEST, not me) will allow "select * from test". This reads the data from the flat file. Get it! Then you can do whatever you want with it. Select it, insert it to some other table, loop over it in pl/sql, use the break and column commands to make a report. You can select from the external table (really the flat file) all you want - but you can't update, delete or insert to external tables.

Hahaha, shoblock, take it easy...

SamCute, once you've created this table you should copy emp.dat file to the <data_dir> folder.

After that just run a "select * from test;" from inside SQL*Plus, if you want bulk insert, just do "insert into emp select * from test;"

Saludos...

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    The "real" answer is to use SQLLDR utility after the table exists in the DB.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

not sure if you're joking or not. Why would you use sqlloader is the you already have an external table?

---------------------
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Club him over the head with a fish, he'll leave you alone.