Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Editable Drop-down Box

Hi,
    I want to have an editable drop-down list box in my asp page, where i can select any of the data from the list or else I can type in the box itself.

IE has an auto-complete feature, but it's client specific. You're not going to have that kind of functionality. The closest you could do would be by using some JavaScript and ASP on the backend. There are probably some examples out there.

Outlook's web-based email has something like this for looking up contacts, but it's not quick. You enter into a text box, and if you stop typing for a few sections, some JS fires off to refresh a frame below the text box with matching contacts. You could probably do something with DIVs and IFrames to simulate the dropdown, but it still requires you to do some JavaScript/ASP coding.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I know that it's possible by JAVASCRIPT..............but that will take hell lots of time. All I want is, that by means of some ACTIVEX if we can do it or not.

I'm sure you can do it in ActiveX, but I have not used such a component before, so I'd have to refer you to the honorable Sir Google to answer your question.

The only issue with ActiveX is the need to install the component on the browser. Not all browsers support this, and some security settings strictly prohibit it.

You may be right Mr. SEPPUKU..........that Activex may not work. But I can't accept the fact that it can be done only through JAVASCRIPT n ASP. There must be some way around to get the solution.

thnakx

post the exact behaviour, eg. go into more details on how you want it to work and we can let you know for sure, but I believe sepp is right.

Edit: and by right I mean that you could only get this functionality use and ActiveX Control which is unlikely to work in an internet environment (but might be okie for intranet depending on security) or ASP and Javascript.
    Last edited by rokslide; 08-03-04 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by DBA_Rahul
    You may be right Mr. SEPPUKU..........that Activex may not work. But I can't accept the fact that it can be done only through JAVASCRIPT n ASP. There must be some way around to get the solution.
    Well, it doesn't have to be entirely JS.. you could do it with JS and any serverside language of your choice.. the only problem is, it's not as responsive (requires a page refresh).

Well if you want to go that way you could also use VbScript ont he Client side but that wouldn't be much fun either...

Right, but I was trying to be client-independent...

Thnkx for all ur efforts tht you people has given. Bt m sorry to say, that it won't solve my problem. I wud rather write the problem 1nc again........

I have a drop-down (SELECT) box in my ASP page. It is been populated at the time of page load from database. Now I want to select one of the values b4 proceeding to the next page. But in certain circumstance, i amy nt find the required value in th drop-down list. In that case case currently i'm selecting th option called "OTHER", which is th last option in the drop-down box, and thn type in the text box next to the drop-down box................ but it is a cumbersome job.......to select "other" n then type in the text box. All i want is to start typing in the drop-down box itself, n whenevr i get th match, i sud select it, or if no match found, thn sud procedd with th typing................

thnkx

I have got the fantastic example for my problem..................
    if u r aware of AOL INSTANT MESSENGER...............??? then u'll find tht at the login time u gt a drop-down box, where u can select the values from the list as well as can type at the same place...............

I want exactly in the same.........................

Help me out

You'll have to find or write an ActiveX object to do this.

I don't know AIM so I am not certain if we are talking about the same thing, but assuming you are trying to do what it sounds to me like you are trying to do,... the only way to do it on the web is to use an activex control, flash or some other similar device to do it.

Sep is right.

You can't modify the base behaviour of the select box so that it will work the way you want by just using Javascript, HTML and ASP. It will not work.

yes,
    That is what i'm saying that it can be done thru ACTIVEx........... But i'm unable to get the ACTIVEX for that. So cud any one help me out......

Dude.. you're pissin' in the wind..

But I like rokslide's idea.. Flash would be way cool.. and it's cross-platform.. but it still requires a client-side component like ActiveX to execute.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 08-09-04 at 20:10.