Unanswered: Access Odbc Issue

Hi there,
    I have come accross a very weird issue in my access db. My access db has odbc links to a topspeed database. if I look at the topspeed database using topscan, the table has legitimate data. But if I look at the table in Access, there are a lot of records that just say "#DELETED". These "#DELETED" records do not show up in topscan. Now, this SOMETIMES resolves itself just over time, but it stopped doing that. It seems as if the ODBC link is not working. Removing and re-adding the link won't work either.

Anyone ever come accross this or have any ideas?

background info: topspeed is a proprietary DB i believe and you have to pay to get the odbc drivers.
    Last edited by tkat11; 07-14-04 at 20:04.

Could the issue be similar to FoxPro databases where deleted records don't get removed from the table but just get marked Deleted? You must purge the FoxPro table for the Deleted records to be removed?

Try doing this, go to your topseed table that shows as a regular record in Access, then delete that record in topseed. See if the record then shows up in topseed and as deleted in Access.
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

Thx for ur reply SCIROCCO!

the deleted items do NOT show up in topspeed, but you're suggesting that I purge the records in topspeed anyways? There are no records to delete in topspeed. these "#deleted" records just keep sticking around. If you could clarify, that would be great.

In FoxPro depending on your viewing mode, either the deleted records are seen in the table (with a blacked box marking them as deleted) or not seen even though they are still there. Until you explicitdly purge the records the deleted ones remain in the table (they even can be un-deleted at a later time). I am thinking that maybe topseed is similar to FoxPro, but this is just a guess. Let me know if that is the case.
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

What are the data types of the fields in the table? Access sometimes has a problem with certain types of fields, I came accross the same problem with a SQl server odbc link as I'd used a numeric field instead of an int
    Access XP & WinXP Pro

Well,
    I will first of all clarify some things here. The ODBC connection is done by Topspeed. The actual database is a Clarion (don't know if I spelt that right). This database or at least this version, is known to be really unstable. I'm so happy we're using it! Anyways, it turned out to be a physically damaged database file that needed to be repaired. Everything seems to be good now.

Thx for all your help and giving me some pointers for future problems that might occur with ODBC links.

This happens if the data is deleted from the main table or the design of the table is altered. Try refreshing your link and everything will be fine hopefully.