Unanswered: "Define Name" Syntax Question

Greetings DBForums,

I want to store a list of constant sizes (48, 54, 60, 66, and 72) in a name called Sizes. It seems like there should be a way to enter the sizes directly in the "Refer To" field.

I tried things like:
    ={48;54;60;66;72}
    ={48,54,60,66,72}
    ="{48;54;60;66;72}"

Thanks In Advance...

These won't work. If you need them to be possible choices, then it is probably better to have an Admin worksheet, with these listed in say A2:A6, and then define the name based on that range. You can always hide the Admin worksheet if needed.

BTW, an Admin sheet can have several different named ranges to use throughout the workbook. It is better efficiency in Excel's calculation process if your data and Admin sheets are named early in the alphabet (A0_Admin, A1_Data, etc.), and your worksheets that use that data have names alphabetically after that.
    Last edited by shades; 07-22-04 at 11:48.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

One can always count on Shades....

My file already contains many many tabs but adding one more Admin tab sounds like a better solution.

Thanks for the reply and tip!

If you have several worksheets and named ranges, tehn something like the free download: NameManager is ideal

http://www.decisionmodels.com/downloads.htm

Of course, if you have large workbooks with many calculations you could get FastExcel which has NameManager as part of it. This tool is excellent because it analyzes how calculations are done, how worksheets are named, and how to rename them for better spreadsheets. My company just purchased it for me two weeks ago, and it has already paid for itself in saved calculation speed and efficiency.

------------

Note: I have no association with DecisionModels.com nor any products therefore. I'm just a satisfied customer.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums