Unanswered: copying database structure

does anyone know how to copy the structure of a DB without the information so our other office can use it for their info? thank you so much.

You can use the biult in documentor for that. It is under Tools --Analyze

Try:

Tools -> Analyze -> Documentor

Okay, newbie here. What do I do then?

I went to Tools - Analyze - Documenter. NOw what?

Pick what you need. ie tblEmployee
    Ryan
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by megtangent
    does anyone know how to copy the structure of a DB without the information so our other office can use it for their info? thank you so much.

If I understood your question...can't you just cut/paste whatever table, query, form you want into a blank database? When doing so it will allow you to choose to do so pasting the structure and the data or structure only. Only thing is, you have to take over each table/query etc. individually.

DFurlong

Can't paste, either. :)

Thanks for all of your help, first of all.

Okay: I opened the database of all of our applicants, and chose the Form that I wanted to copy. I copied it, and then attempted to paste it to a new form (in design mode) and pasting was not an option. I tried access help, and it said to close the database I was copying from and open a new one, but I wasn't able to do that either. What am I doing wrong??

Furlong, your advice makes sense, but again, I wasn't able to paste. Not to be thick-headed, but could someone really spell out the instructions for me? Thanks.

Did you copy the original in Design Mode also? Just trying to right click on the form object on the DB window hit copy then open the other DB and hit paste in the other DB window. Or in the second DB go to file>get external data>import and just import that form
    Ryan
    My Blog

The extremely Royal borough of Kensington, London
    To duplicate a table structure:

Select * Into newTable from oldTable where 1 = 0
    Last edited by r123456; 07-21-04 at 12:45.
    Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
    Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.

Open the database that has the form, etc.(Source) already. Open ANOTHER instance of Access(Target), arrange the windows so that you can see both. Drag the Form from your Source database and Drop it on your Target database. NOTE: The form will not do any good unless you also copy the table that the form is based on. IF you can't get it to work and it's not too huge, then post your database on here and myself or someone else will attempt it for you.

have a good day,
    Bud

Thank you Thank you thank you!!

It worked! I opened two access windows and copied and then imported the table and forms, choosing to copy only the description and not the data. It worked! Thank you so much. You all are geniuses!

Megan

No problem, that's what we are here for
    Ryan
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by megtangent
    It worked! I opened two access windows and copied and then imported the table and forms, choosing to copy only the description and not the data. It worked! Thank you so much. You all are geniuses!

Megan
    Anytime Megan, you're more than welcome and have a great day.