Question Unanswered: Informix and JTA compatability

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any Informix JDBC drivers that support the Java Transaction Architecture(JTA), or even if the Informix DBMS supports JTA itself.

I have been trying to implement a simple web application that uses a stateless session bean through JBoss and makes use of Hibernate as the persistent layer to an Informix Database. Setting up Hibernate to use the default jdbcTransactionManager seems to work fine and records are added to the table in the database, but I would like to use the JTATransactionManager instead. I think I have configured everything fine and I do not get any errors when running the web application, but when i try query the database to see that the record has been added, I get a record locked error...!?!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information, links or advice.

Andrew.

Although I haven't actually tried JTA with the Informix driver...

The informix 2.21 JDBC driver implements javax.sql.XADataSource and javax.sql.XAConnection, both of which are needed by JTA so it should work. DataDirect supports it for sure:

http://www.datadirect.com/products/j...view/index.ssp

Hope this helps.
    Keith Brownlow
    ServerMetrics DB Monitoring (www.servermetrics.com)

Smile

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply...

I have already looked into using the DataDirect driver, but unfortunately I don't think it supports the version of Informix we are using. I think we are using 7.3 and it only supports later versions.

I've ended up just using the JDBC transaction manager for now, until we decide to upgrade the database.

Thanks for your help though... By the way, do you know of any major advantages of using JTA over the standard JDBC transaction architecture..?

Cheers,
    Andrew.

The major one is vendor-independent transactions. With JTA you can do things like distributed transactions across different databases - even from different rdbms vendors.
    Keith Brownlow
    ServerMetrics DB Monitoring (www.servermetrics.com)