Unanswered: OLAP connection problems

I have two systems setup with SQL Server 2000 + Analysis Services. Both servers have been patched with both SP3a patches.

I wrote a trivial command line app that tests connection strings through ADO.

On each system, I can connect locally perfectly using the connection string:
    "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"

However, once I change "Data Source" to refer to the other system, the call to ADODB.Connection.Open throws a "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException" with message: "Unspecified error". (The simple app is written in C# and talks to ADO through Interop)

I've tried referencing ADO 2.1, ADO 2.5 and ADO 2.7
    I've tried a "Provider" of "MSOLAP.2" as well as just "MSOLAP"
    I've also tried a variety of different connection strings with many different permissions settings.

It is very frustrating to get an absolutely generic error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried adding "User ID=xxx;Password=xxx"

or

"Integrated Security=SSPI"
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Yes, just retried all of them and they all result in the same System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException, "Unspecified error"

adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"
    adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=192.168.128.53;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"
    adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=192.168.128.53;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"
    adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=192.168.128.53;User Id=sa;Password=xxxx;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"

Let me reclarify. This one works fine:

adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"

These (that reference another system) fail with System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException, "Unspecified error":

adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=192.168.128.53;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"
    adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=192.168.128.53;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"
    adomdtest "Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=192.168.128.53;User Id=sa;Password=xxxx;Initial Catalog=FoodMart 2000"

I experience the same effect from two systems; either system can open its own database but can't open a remote one.

Can't think of anything here...Maybe these links can give you some ideas?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...shoot_8wfm.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...shoot_64fb.asp
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."