Exclamation Unanswered: Help!! Database Corrupted!

I open my database and it comes up completely Empty. No Forms, No Database Window, No NOTHING. I go to Unhide and it's greyed out. I try to import it's tables from another database and when I click get external data - nothing happens! No error messages, nothing.

The file size is ~75 MB, which is as normal. The only thing that was mildly successful was importing a couple tables into Excel. Excel did actually recognized and imported the data. However, due to the size and complexity of the data I am fearful to use Excel to re-transfer all the records.

The thing is, I do have a backup from last night, but me and 3 of my collegues have been working in it for a combined 18 hours, and It will be somewhat painful to retrace the paper trail of our work. Does anyone know if there's a relatively simple way to restore my data? It's basically one table I'm interested in, but the records are 98 fields each (some memo) and I have just under 13,000 records. (I know, I know, I'm in the process of breaking it down into two related tables)

Does anyone know of an easy way to get my records back or restore the database? (FYI, this is a replicated database and now both of the two replica members are now corrupt)

Arrow

Hi, rty this on a copy of the valuable db:

1. From a NEW db, import only table definitions first.
    2. (either Link to the original db, or by code
    Make an append query that puts the data from the the copy of the old/corrupt db into the new table in the new db.

Hm. You could perhaps also try opening the corrupt db using decompile:
    Open access with /decompile, like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" /decompile

then open the db, perhaps open another db in a new access and try importing the table. That could also be done in two ways, first the whole table along with data, if that does not work, only table definitions, and using an append query in the new db fetch from the one opened with /decompile (I have not tested that particular one, though).

Important to leave an untouched copy the original db at all times...

Hope you can work it out.
    D.
    Win-XP pro, Access 2002, ADO 2.7, DAO 3.6. English versions of apps/OS.

Unhappy Thanks - but no avail...

1. From a NEW db, import only table definitions first.
    <As soon as I click on import, nothing even happens, it won't enven bring up the importer diolog box>

2. (either Link to the original db, or by code
    Make an append query that puts the data from the the copy of the old/corrupt db into the new table in the new db.
    <That may work - but the problem is, MS Access has known issues with appending memo-type data fields (it stops the append and comes up with an error), and these are the fields I'm most interested in.>

Hm. You could perhaps also try opening the corrupt db using decompile:
    Open access with /decompile, like this:

<Not sure I'm savvy enough to know exactly what I should do with the above path, I tried navigating there, but there is no MSACCESS.EXE file in my C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10 folder. I don't know what to do with the "/decompile" part. There's a software called "AccessRecovery 2.2" which recovers Tables, Queries, Relationships, Forms, Macros, and Reports, I think I'm going to try to get my boss to approve the purchase>

then open the db, perhaps open another db in a new access and try importing the table. That could also be done in two ways, first the whole table along with data, if that does not work, only table definitions, and using an append query in the new db fetch from the one opened with /decompile (I have not tested that particular one, though).

<Thanks for your help!>

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jneuwirth
    1. <As soon as I click on import, nothing even happens, it won't enven bring up the importer diolog box>

2. MS Access has known issues with appending memo-type data fields, and these are the fields I'm most interested in.>

<Not sure I'm savvy enough to know exactly what I should do with the above path

There's a software called "AccessRecovery 2.2" which recovers Tables, Queries, Relationships, Forms, Macros, and Reports, I think I'm going to try to get my boss to approve the purchase>

<Thanks for your help!>
    Warning: I am sooo tired (02:30 am here) and need to zzzleep, but posting this one first, even if it could happen that it will include very strange parts that I am not accountable for in this state... ;-)

Firstly, do you know that the installation you have of Access is working properly? Could you test this on a different machine, just to make sure? Any other problems with the machine? Important to know if this might be a windows/app problem and not a db problem.

Second:
    Ah, yes, memo fields...
    Hm, can you manage to do anything in the db itself, for example right-click and use Save As on that table, and after having made a new identical table with all records, try to first export that one to a new db from within this one, or delete all other fields, and try to export only the primary key, perhaps with customer name, and then the memo fields? Or actually trying to link to the new table from another new db?

Thirdly, create a new shortcut to Access with the /debug switch included. you can move the msaccess.exe path pointer:

Choose New/Shortcut. In the first field, copy and paste the following line, along with the special characters/apostrophes:

4. Then, click on next, give a name for the shortcut, For example Access Decompile.

Now, right-click on the new shortcut on your desktop, choose properties, then click on the browse... button to find the original movie file. See if msaccess.exe is in that particular folder or somewhere else. (Might search for it first with the search tool in windows). Use the browsing feature in the propertis of the shortcut to choose the file. Make sure its file path is put in the "Start in" folder list.

If you get to try "AccessRecovery 2.2", then please do post your findings/comments about it here! :-)

Regards,
    Daniel
    Win-XP pro, Access 2002, ADO 2.7, DAO 3.6. English versions of apps/OS.