Unhappy Unanswered: system user password

Hi
    We have an application running on oracle 8.1.7 and D2k. We lost the password of system user of SQL.
    we dont know any back end user password. but application is running fine as we dont need to connect back end often. Can you suggest the procedure to break and reset system user password.
    Thanks in advance
    Hari

Cool

You need a user id with DBA privileges, then:

ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY ....
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Another way (if you have access to an server account with DBA privildeges is to do the following.

svrmgrl
    connect internal
    alter user sys identified by new_password;
    exit;

Remember to reset the oracle password file to the new password.

However,
    What are you doing in SYS. This account should not normally be accessed. Any DBA stuff should be done from a site specific login that has the approporate priviledges.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

SYS password resets itself

Apologies to hijack the thread.

I've got the following problem: I went away for a few weeks and came back to find the SYS password changed. I try and reset it using

ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY ...

(connected as SYS - I guessed the new password!) and success is reported. However, after a couple of minutes my changes are reverted and once again I cannot connect.

I'm hijacking the thread because of this line from beilstwh: "Remember to reset the oracle password file to the new password."

Perhaps this is what's causing my changes not to stick? Can someone confirm this? I'm pretty new to Oracle and was not aware of a password file...

Thanks
    Stuart
    Aligned Assets
    Aligned Assets Developers

The solution
    In the end we created a new user with the same rights as the SYS user. Then, logged in as this new user we expired SYS's password via Enterprise Manager. This seemed to stick, so we managed to reset it to what it was originally.

Regards
    Stuart
    Aligned Assets Developers

Provided Answers: 1
    aligned-assets,

You can find out more about the password file that beilstwh refers to by googling for ORAPWD.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.