Thread: Please Help

Talking Unanswered: Please Help

hi guys... ill get right to the point i need to build page where i have some control over some of the things

this is how i imagine it, a combo box that feed from a database (projects)
    and lists all the available machinery for that specific record... now i've got down the display part but how can i merge the two, this is for adding new machinery to the project but i cant make them do one or the other. how can i make this happen??

oooh and maybe u guys can help me on this one i have this database theres a pesky error that keeps making my life miserable, 3 simple tables 2 are M:M so i made the third one to resolve this issue so, when i go to make the form its all ok... what im having trouble is with the subform it tells me that the field cannot be updated, but when u go to the table and view its contents the update that u just did is there... but not in the form, and also there are 4 records in one particular record
    now infact someone toldme to look up an article that said tha if u are using a 3 table based form your gonna have problems, solution: Dynaset must be selected... and infact i doo have it in my database but i dont understand y is this happening can someone help me with this one this is one of the three forms left in the database to be completed and i need this one to work in order for the others to work....

<<
    ...what im having trouble is with the subform it tells me that the field cannot be updated...
    >>

You have a subform on an ASP page?

I didn't even think that <form> tags could be nested...
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

nop nop im doing the final testings on the database and it tells me that its an access database and i created some forms for making sure that it works properly... it does work but not these particular forms.... that was a whole another issue jeje... but thanx for clearing that up.... can u help me doing the combo that feeds from a database?

<<
    nop nop im doing the final testings on the database and it tells me that its an access database and i created some forms for making sure that it works properly
    >>

I'm so confused. OK since this is an ASP board (and there is a separate Access board as you probably already know where you may want to repost your question if it is just straight Access with no ASP pages involved) I'll assume that the forms you're talking about are on ASP Web pages.

And for filling a listbox from data in a database you may want to check this out:

Classic ASP Design Tips - Fill a Listbox Possibly With Multiple Columns
    http://www.bullschmidt.com/devtip-filllistbox.asp

Dynamically show the results in a listbox possibly with multiple columns based on data in a database.

You can fill listboxes for example to let a user choose a rep in a reps listbox.

To View "Fill a Listbox" Sample - http://www.bullschmidt.com/devtip-fi...box-sample.asp

To Download "Fill a Listbox" Sample - http://www.bullschmidt.com/devtip-fi...sample-zip.zip

To streamline code on the main page and easily allow many possibilities this uses a custom ASP class called objjpsvbBuildOption which resides in an included page.

Example:
    <% ' Set sql.
    strSQL = "SELECT UserID "
    strSQL = strSQL & "FROM tblUser "
    strSQL = strSQL & "ORDER BY UserID"
    %>
    <select name="UserID" size="1">
    <% ' Create, use, destroy object.
    Set objjpsvbBuildOption = New jpsvbBuildOption
    objjpsvbBuildOption.DefaultValue = UserID
    objjpsvbBuildOption.FldWidths = "100"
    objjpsvbBuildOption.FldWidthPadding = False
    objjpsvbBuildOption.AddedRowFlds = ""
    Call objjpsvbBuildOption.Execute(objConn, objRS, strSQL)
    Set objjpsvbBuildOption = Nothing
    %>
    </select>

And to see something like this in action you can do the following:
    - Go to http://www.bullschmidt.com/login.asp (the ASP Web database demo's login page)
    - Click the Continue button
    - On the Main Menu click the Customers Edit button
    - On the Customers Edit Search Dialog notice the Rep and Customer listboxes
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips