Unanswered: SQL Server very slow

Hiya folks,
    This is more a request for some input from peeps with more experience of SQL than myself. A problem has shown itself on my SQL server over the last week or so, in that the server will 'slow down' intermitently, almost as if the the connection to the server has been lost for about 30 seconds. All will be fine for another minute or so and then the same problem occurs.

The only way I've found to get round this problem is to stop the SQL server and completely restart the server that SQL resides on, then restart SQL. This cures the problem for about a day.

Any offers??

What's the load on the box itself considering ram/cpu usage? Is the problem back the next day, or is it 24h AFTER the server came back online again?

One thing I should have mentioned is that the problem always happens after a structural change is made to the SQL tables. But this problem has only started happening in the last couple of weeks

ok, so you're saying that the sqlserver becomes very slow some time (?) _after_ a alter table-statement is executed?

Not using an 'Alter-Table' method, but rather physically changing a table or adding a new one, the time scale ranges from instantly having problems up to 24 hours later.

I'm using the enterprise version which will attempt to run the entire database from RAM, my first thought was that due to the table/s being changed was that it couldn't reconcile the changes between ram and the actual sql tables but enterprise has been running for well over a year now with no problems....uptil now.

ok, so after a insert-statement or a create table-statement, the sqlbox becomes very slow right after the change, or 24 hours later.
    I'd still check the load and see if some there's some lock or trigger-loop that get's fired. How's your connection count? From the first post you say "All will be fine for another minute or so and then the same problem occurs.". I'd say there's something else that puts the load on the box since the problem does not always occur instantly after the table-change or all the time right after.

Cheers matey, I'll look into that and let you know the results

Slow SQL Server

If you're using Access as a front end, are you refreshing all the linked tables in all the Access applications?

You can't measure server performance if you're doing your development against your production box. Of course the performance will fluctuate. Any thoughts of experimenting with new featuture implementations against a dev/test environment?
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

when you recreate the table do you place data in the table first and then create indexes and constraints or do you create the constraints\indexes and then populate the table?