Unanswered: SQL Server per processor license

If I install an instance of SQL Server on a box with 4 processors but specify in the licensing part of the installation procedure that it's a '2 processor license', does that really mean that SQL Server will only use 2 of the 4 processors? I ask because, having done this, if I check the SQL Server instance's properties, on the Processors tab, there are 4 processors ticked - giving the impression that 4 processors are being used by this SQL Server instance. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Another question... If I wish to reconfigure the same SQL Server instance from a 2 to a 4 processor 'per processor' license, how can this be done?

Clive

If I install an instance of SQL Server on a box with 4 processors but specify in the licensing part of the installation procedure that it's a '2 processor license', does that really mean that SQL Server will only use 2 of the 4 processors?

No, but from Enterprise Manager you should restrict SQL to using only 2 processors to be legal. Go to SQL Server Properties and select the Processor tab to properly configure your instance of SQL server.

I ask because, having done this, if I check the SQL Server instance's properties, on the Processors tab, there are 4 processors ticked - giving the impression that 4 processors are being used by this SQL Server instance. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Microsoft expects you to purchase the appropriate licenses for the number of processors you are going to use. This is part of the End Use Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Another question... If I wish to reconfigure the same SQL Server instance from a 2 to a 4 processor 'per processor' license, how can this be done?

This is a paperwork/administrative chang so purchase 2 more processor licenses. SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition will only work with up to 4 processors, but the installations from processors 1-4 is identical.
    Last edited by TxDude; 07-20-04 at 10:37.