Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: Field Size to Small

I am trying to use a variety of paragraphs as a merge field into a letter. Unfortunatly, the max size for a text property is 255. I tried using a memo property which seemed to work. What I need to to have a user choose a particular paragraph as a whole merge field. I was thinking of either using a check box that allows the user to pick between 7 different paragraphs. Could someone help me design this type of set up. Thanks a ton.

Yes, but I'm dammed if I will. I hate people like you. Whatever happened to the principle of speaking to people as individuals?
    Rod

fe_rod@hotmail.com

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. When I said "Could someone help me design this type of set up" I was referring to the forum as a whole. Its very difficult to address a group of people as individuals. Again I am sorry. So, are there any individuals who would be willing to help me with this problem.

Thanks.

TJ- can multiple fields work ie one per paragraph? Then line them up so no space.
    Ryan
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Yes, but I'm dammed if I will. I hate people like you. Whatever happened to the principle of speaking to people as individuals?
    What are you talking about? The whole point of a forum is to ask stuff like TJ did. Not to say hey mikey what did you do when you made a form...
    Ryan
    My Blog

Sorry tjarvas, no offence taken. I should have included a smiley to indicate that I had my tongue in my cheek. But there is an underlying grain of truth; I would find it somewhat insulting to receive a letter that had been assembled by numbers; why couldn't the author do me the courtesy of writing to me as an individual.? Ryan's right to slap my wrist; I shouldn't withhold help on the how to even if I disagree with the ultimate business requirement.

tjarvas we need to know a little more about the requirement. Is the whole letter assembled from prefabricated paragraphs or are trying to merge a set piece of text into an otherwise custom written letter (similar to a word processing paste)? What application eventually prints/stores the letter? Are you using Access for this or do you intend to transfer the completed letter to Word?

As you are aware a text type column contains a maximum of 255 characters whereas a memo type can contain up to 65,000 characters, enough for any paragraph and probably enough for the letter itself. You could therefore store your prefabricated paragraphs in memo fields and copy the ones chosen in the sequence they are chosen into another memo field. Judicious inclusion of the constant vbCrLf will give you new lines between the paragraphs. This solution allows your user to make alterations if required to the assembled letter since it is a copy.

Another solution is to key each prefabricated paragraph and simply store the keys to the selected paragraphs in the sequence in which they were chosen - your letter now has a parent-child structure. Here your user cannot make alterations as there is no copy. Printing should be no problem. The print is based on a query and each paragraph is printed as a detail. You will have to experiment with CanGrow and CanShrink so that the paragraphs run together in an acceptable way.

Whatever method you choose I think you will need to use some VBA to implement the selection and merge mechanism.

P.S. I notice I can't spell 'damned' either.
    Last edited by Rod; 07-21-04 at 01:55.
    Rod

fe_rod@hotmail.com

Let me give you two a little background first. The user opens a form and types in a acct number in a text box. After pressing return, 15 or so other text boxes get filled with info from a table. At this point the user presses a button on the form which then merges the data into a word document. The user then prints the document from word.

Now, depending on what data was merged, the user then must change a single paragraph to agree with the data. Tenses and what not. So I would like to have an option group made up of 7 check boxes to select the correct paragraph.

The only other problem I though of was at lease one piece of data must go in this paragraph during the merge. So, I'm not sure how to have a merge paragraph include a separate merge field.

Thanks Rod and rguy84

No problem. So say acct 123 is overdue you would get the overdue paragraph(s)? And if acct 457 is credited you want that set?
    Ryan
    My Blog

correct. I have all the code once the data is on the form. I just can't seem to make it user friendly that's all.

I have an idea, you'll need help on doing this. 'Causex I am not sure how to yet. You make a table to hold the paragraphs. The Key of the table symbolizes the status. So on the main entry form the user hits acct# and then has a staus option. The key probably an autonumber. So field two is the 'status' fields 3 through x is your paragraphs...You have an option group or dropdown menu showing the status lvls. user selects one hits a button and gets thrown into your word doc...
    Ryan
    My Blog

I think I understand most of that. Have built a table that has and autonumber in the first column. In the second column I have all of the nessasay paragraphs. Now, what do I use on the form to populate a text box. Should I use a combo/list or should I use an option group? I tried using a combo box and all I got was the number 1 through 3. I don't know how to get the paragraph from there.

Well, you need a field that holds bit of text to display what you want. I would choose a combo box myself...
    Last edited by rguy84; 07-21-04 at 12:52. Reason: Stupid grammer
    Ryan
    My Blog

Let me send you what I have. Maybe that will work better.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Look at that
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ryan
    My Blog

I see that it populates the box with the first column. But how do I get the actual paragragh in a text box.