Unanswered: Managing identity column in java

How can I retrieve the identity column value generated by DB2 when I make an INSERT using JDBC?
    I see IBM doc talking about VALUES IDENTITY_VALUE_LOCAL INTO :host-variable, but... I don't see how to translate the concept of 'host-variable' in java

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luca200
    How can I retrieve the identity column value generated by DB2 when I make an INSERT using JDBC?
    I see IBM doc talking about VALUES IDENTITY_VALUE_LOCAL INTO :host-variable, but... I don't see how to translate the concept of 'host-variable' in java

Thanks
    You can use that in java, just take off the "INTO :hostvariable", issue it as a regular Statement and it will be returned in the ResultSet.

There's also a new method getGeneratedKeys() that was introduced in JDBC, for use with Statement or PreparedStatement objects. I'm not sure if DB2 conforms to it yet, though, might want to give it a try. It returns a ResultSet.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by J Petruk
    You can use that in java, just take off the "INTO :hostvariable", issue it as a regular Statement and it will be returned in the ResultSet.
    Thank you, I'll try
    Quote Originally Posted by J Petruk
    There's also a new method getGeneratedKeys() that was introduced in JDBC, for use with Statement or PreparedStatement objects. I'm not sure if DB2 conforms to it yet, though, might want to give it a try. It returns a ResultSet.
    I found it in docs, but I can't use it because I have Java 1.3.1....

thanks anyway :-)