Unanswered: Import Error during loading EXPORTED DUMP

Hi,
    I have exported a tablespace from database-A and importing it to another database instance-B (Thinking that on Database-B it will create the tablespace & its all associated objects). Both the databases are on the same machine but character sets are differents.

Database-A Character Set is: WE8ISO8859P1
    Database-B Character Set is: UTF8

I have exported the tablespace like this:
    exp system@A/manager file=sec.dmp log=sec.log tablespaces=security compress=N
    The export was done OK & it has not given any error.

Now, i am trying to import this export on another database instance i.e. database-B which is of UTF8 character set. I have issued import command like this:
    imp system@B/manager file=sec.dmp log=sec_imp.log tablespaces=security

==> Import has given error like this:
    IMP-00037: Character Set marker unknown.
    IMP-00000:

I checked few posts on Metalink but could not solve it. I have done no FTP as both DB instances are on the same HOST machine and the dump file is not compressed also. I checked that dump might be corrupted and tried option show=Y with IMPORT but it has given the same error mesages as shown above.

Do i need to create a tablespace security first in DB instance B & then import into instance-B or it is some other error.

Please help & suggest how to resolve this issue. Any help would be greately appreciated, sir. Thanks.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR

You should definitely pre-create the tablespace in my opinion.
    What about the owner of the objects you exported?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I have exported a tablespace
    OK, I did not know you could export a tablespace.
    I thought you could export only table(s), schema(s), or FULL.
    Exactly how did you accomplish this tablespace export?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    >I have exported a tablespace
    OK, I did not know you could export a tablespace.
    I thought you could export only table(s), schema(s), or FULL.
    Exactly how did you accomplish this tablespace export?
    I thought the same thing, but then I typed EXP help=Y and the parameter was there. I never have used it.

What I found on it:
    Code:
     tablespaces  Indicates that the type of export is tablespace-mode, 
    in which all tables assigned to the listed tablespaces will be exported.  
    This option requires the EXP_FULL_DATABASE role.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

The other problem you have is that if you do not pre-create the tablespaces and datafiles, the import will attempt to use the datafiles from the other database. If the tablespace doesn't already exist, it will attempt to recreate it in the same place that the export was done from. If it finds the datafile already there, it will attempt to use it, will see that the character set is different and complain. Be very careful when doing imports to a different SID on the same machine.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Hi All (The_Duke, beilstwh, anacedent),
    Thanks for those tips & reply. But i could not get the exact reason why i was getting the error during Import. The Error was IMP-00037.

It would be better if somebody can highlight this error. As per Metalink & other doc, it says that exported dump might be corrupted..?? This is really surprising me..Just a export & how it could be corrupted.

Anyhow, i created a tablespace & owner (database user) on datbase instance - B and imported the same exported dump in the same way, it was able to do it and done successfully OK.

Does it mean that tablespace & db user was not there in instance-B & that's why it was creating problem...But the error message was different...in fact quite different. Because document does say like this and even IMP-00037 is not being referred like this (on Metalink i.e. Oracle Support).

If it is so, then we need to really contract Oracle and tell them about the same...So, guys i request & need all of your expert feedback & suggestion about this issue.

Thanks for sharing your experieces....& findings....

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR