Thread: Server 7 sp2

Question Unanswered: Server 7 sp2

Hello,
    I am having a problem with my SQL Server. 2 weeks ago, a team did a restore and ever since, I have been getting the following errors
    Error 823,7102,17903,17951 and some users are unable to use some fields. I did some research and came up with updating the sp to #4. A Sr team member does not agree and wants to to something else. Has anyone had this problem ? Would sp solve the errors ?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Error 823 usually indicates some form of disk hardware problem. I think you may have a corrupt database on your hands. Run DBCC Checkdb on the database, and see what results. Did the team that did the restore report any errors with the restore?

Error 823,17903,17951 server 7 sp2 --- HELP

From what they said, some hardware changes were made and they made some changes in the registry (?). I spoke to the dba who made those chages and he says all is fine with the hardware. I have tried running checkdb but it says that only the owner can do that. What to do ?

Ask the dba to run the dbcc?

Problem. The dba is on vacation until next week.

Provided Answers: 54
    Find a convincing substitute? There just has to be some kind of backup person for the dba. What would happen if the database when AWOL and there was no dba around... Er, nevermind... That's exactly what has happened!

-PatP

Changes would be made but I have to find a solution today. I would apply sp4 later on today but what to do if it doesn't fix the problem ?

If you can not run DBCC, odds are you can not apply SQL SP4. You have to supply admin credentials, in order to run some of the SQL scripts in the service pack.

Check in the NT System Event log. There may be a few disk errors in there. I can not recall off hand, but look for event number 55.

The event log # is 17052 for the MSSQLServer.

That would be the event number for any informational message from MSSQL Server in the Application Event Log. Look in the System Event Log for Errors.

I see
    Disk #41
    W3SVC #16
    NetBT #4319
    Any idea what the #s are ?

What is the text in the disk event? Is it an actual error, or an informational message?

cobra:

17903 and 17951 are related to SQLMail (Invalid login and failure to start SQL Mail session respectively)

823 is related to insufficient i/o subsystem resources due to current server load, but has been corrected by SP3.
    7102 is related to keyset-based cursor involving text/image field and dirty reads, and has been corrected in SP2.

What is the service pack level now and what exactly your team restored (server, user database, master)?
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

It has sp2. I think a full restore was done.
    Do you think sp4 would fix some of the problems ?

Without knowing for certain what these problems are, I can not advise any course of action. Here is the description of error 823 from a copy of SQL 2000 BOL. I do not think it has changed from SQL 7.0, but it would not be the first time Microsoft has gone and changed things around on me.

Error 823
    Severity Level 24
    Message Text
    I/O error %ls detected during %S_MSG at offset %#016I64x in file '%ls'.

Explanation
    Microsoft® SQL Server™ encountered an I/O error on a read or write request made to a device. This error usually indicates disk problems. However, additional kernel messages in the error log, recorded before error 823, should indicate which device is involved.

Action
    Check the accessibility and condition of the device in question.

Run hardware diagnostics and correct problems, if possible.

Restore damaged files from the latest database backup. Restoring from a database backup should always be considered the primary means of fixing a damaged database.

If you don't have a backup or if the errors detected are very isolated, the repair functionality of DBCC CHECKDB may be useful. However, using DBCC CHECKDB can be more time consuming than restoring the damaged files from a backup, and you may not be able to recover all your data .

Caution If running DBCC CHECKDB with one of the repair clauses does not correct the problem or if you are unsure how this process may affect your data, contact your primary support provider.