Unanswered: How can I install two version of db2 in one box? any reference

Hi all, I am working with db2 v8 fix5 aix 5.2,
    I have to install db2v7.2 in the same box, could you please help me how or give me some reference.

Thank you a lot .

The information on having two versions of db2 on the same box is available in 'Appl Dev Guide' or 'Appl Building Guide' ...
    (Doesn't this sound strange!!)

You can go ahead with the second installation as usual and use the correponding db2icrt to create the instance ...

The main point to rember is the link to libdb2.a in /usr/lib ... If your exisiting installation has the entry, then your new installation cannot have one ... So, all compilations etc should have sqlllib/lib higher up the rank in environment variables LIBPATH etc ...

The other option is to use db2rmln to remove the exisitng installation's links and use reference to sqllib/lib for both versions ... If you intend to do this , make sure none of your exisiting code has been linked using the path /usr/lib/

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s
    The information on having two versions of db2 on the same box is available in 'Appl Dev Guide' or 'Appl Building Guide' ...
    (Doesn't this sound strange!!)

You can go ahead with the second installation as usual and use the correponding db2icrt to create the instance ...

The main point to rember is the link to libdb2.a in /usr/lib ... If your exisiting installation has the entry, then your new installation cannot have one ... So, all compilations etc should have sqlllib/lib higher up the rank in environment variables LIBPATH etc ...

The other option is to use db2rmln to remove the exisitng installation's links and use reference to sqllib/lib for both versions ... If you intend to do this , make sure none of your exisiting code has been linked using the path /usr/lib/

HTH

Sathyaram
    Thank you so much for you help Sathyaram,
    Just one question, if I use db2rmln and remove the exisisting installation's link can I use db2 v8 at the same time ?

Quote Originally Posted by M_RAS
    Thank you so much for you help Sathyaram,
    Just one question, if I use db2rmln and remove the exisisting installation's link can I use db2 v8 at the same time ?
    Hi Sathyaram,
    I searched a lot in IBM site and manual and I could not find the reference for this subject , could you please give me more acurate address.
    Thank you inadvance

This is the only place in the manuals that refer to running multiple versions of the prod on the same box

http://www-306.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2ww...x88.htm#HDRDMI
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

If your installing V7 and V8 on the same box, its no big deal, they install in there own direcotry. We have multiple server running both. Just make sure you have enough memory for both, When running 1 version, you only have 1 version of the binarires in memory but when running 2 version you have 2.

You would then goto the instance direcotry of the correspoding version to create your instance, and you would be good to go. Just make sure you setup the ports differently for each instance.

They behave very well together, and have not seen any problems between v7 & v8.
    David Quigley