Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    Unanswered: 3197 - How I hate that number

    Hi all,

    I have created a Microsoft Access database for a friend and recently a couple of errors have come up in relation to one of the tables.

    Some of the fields contain "#Error" and cannot be modified. When I try and chnge themn I get the error 3197 message. They are memo data type which seem to have a somewhat unsavoury reputation from what I've recently looked into. Is taht the case. How do I fix (and prevent) them?

    Secondly, one of the rows in the same table is a major issue. It was not the last row (it was the 61st or so), but now the table lists only 61 entries. Whenever I scroll down to that specific row in the table the program crashes as soon as it comes into view. It looks briefly like it is an empty row (above the bottom empty row where new entries could theoretically be added) before the program dies.

    Am I bound to encounter these problems as long as I work in Access with no escape?

    Ben

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    one more thing

    I forgot to mention that there has never been more than one user accessing the data at any time.

    There is some code that fiddles around with DAO data types which might have caused some multiple access areas, but they definitely don't interact specifically with the memo data field.

    I have tried copying the table but it won't let me becasue it says taht another user is attempting to edit it at the same time. WHen I wrote some code to pull all the entries out of the table it only reached the record prior to the evil one.

    help,
    thanks again,
    Ben

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,713
    Run the compact and repair ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    It does so without giving errors but doesn't fix any of the problems

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    97
    Try these and see if you're luck to get your database recoved or repaired

    1. Try delete any associated *.ldb files with it and then run repair and compact and see if problem is removed.

    or if still not then

    2. Try open the bad table and export it as an excel file and then see if it exports all the rows (records) or almost all of them. If it does export all records and don't skip or miss the rows you need, then try import them back into a new table in your database and if you're lucky and haven't lost any rows just rename that imported table as orignal table and delete the currupted table. Sometimes the system objects gets currupted and data tables become un-usable.

    Hope this would help.

    - Saqib

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •