Thread: Msde 2000

Unanswered: Msde 2000

This is my first time using SQL. I installed MSDE 2000 on my desktop and after restarting my PC I see an icon in the startup area MSSQLServer with the server being my T-Tag #.

I am trying to upsize my Access DB to Sqlserver. I am still confused as to where does this server reside? How does this whole thing work?

Also, when I tried to upsize my db I got an overflow error.

Could someone please explain how does this work?

Thanks,

DH

You really should have your instance name be one word with no special characters, so you might want to reinstall MSDE to start with.

The MSDE SQL Server can reside anywhere. A server is always preferrable. You just point to it in Access with ODBC or an Access Data Project.

Can you post the exact message you got on the upsize? This is probably an arithmetic overflow error, but who knows without seeing the error.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Doesn't MSDE create a named instance by default?

Also, the poster is probably referring to the Tag # of the PC or a laptop, like Dell usually assignes to it's products, something like YG2PBF, so I don't see any problem with it.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Quote Originally Posted by rdjabarov
    Doesn't MSDE create a named instance by default?

Also, the poster is probably referring to the Tag # of the PC or a laptop, like Dell usually assignes to it's products, something like YG2PBF, so I don't see any problem with it.

Yes, you are right. It uses the TTAG number of the desktop. The MSSQL icon in the start up area also had other names unser the serverl ist. Anyway, attached is the screen shot of the verflow error I encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by dmesh
    Yes, you are right. It uses the TTAG number of the desktop. The MSSQL icon in the start up area also had other names unser the serverl ist. Anyway, attached is the screen shot of the verflow error I encountered.

OOps ..I forgot the attachment..
    Attached Files Attached Files