Thread: Report Question

Unanswered: Report Question

Hi all,
    The application on which I'm working on, has some typical database design.
    Since the html forms may have more than 1200 fields, and also the names of the fields will be changing every quarter of the year, also number of fields may vary every quarter, we do not have regular database design. Our database then is a vertical database, in the sense, every field and its value is a new record with important column names as field_name, field_value and form_record_id. I'm working on the report part and not able to understand as how will I generate reports. Since I'm not a hardcore oracle developer I need help on this issue as what can be done.. Like we create tables/view on the fly or write queries for the existing tables ??
    Any clue will be much appreciated.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

_Sanjay

Provided Answers: 1
    Nasty. Why do your column names have to change every quarter? Sounds like bad design to me...

Oh it is client's requirement that depending upon then situation some of the field names might change. Any clue for my question

Hmm. create a view on you table. In case, the column names needs to be changed, you have to just "repair" the view defination accordingly. Let your report use the view and view's columns.
    I assume the column's meanings and purpose does not changes.
    Till then enjoy the $$$ of table maintenance !

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    > The application on which I'm working on, has some typical database design.
    NO, no, no it does not conform to a "typical database design"!
    Throw away this "design", and have a real DB professional do it right from scratch.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I understand the design could have been better but it can not be changed now.

Sounds bad, but I think you can try something.

From Developer 9i and up (haven't seen or heard 7i or 8i myself, so can't give an oppinion there), you are able to have Ref Cursors Query on your Data Model. One way I can think about this is, that you can create Dynamic SQL with a Ref Cursor on your report, querying the ALL_TAB_COLUMNS data dictionary to get all the fields of the table you are about to access.