Access always opens in exclusive mode

We have Access 2000, running on a network, on Windows XP. It used to be a Windows NT 4.0 network, and had the same problem. It is installed in a Public folder, and several users have permissions to use it. But, even though it is set for Default Open Mode of "Shared", only one user can open it at a time.

The error message is "could not lock file. error 3050".
    As an experiment, Itried to use the Security Wizard , got a message that says " MS Access can't run the security Wizard because this database is open in exclusive mode". I believe this confirms that the db is in exclusive mode.

I have Full Control permissions, but not Admin priviliges.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Have you tried splitting the database? That would enable more than one user to access the data at a time. You also need to check in Tools -> Options then click on the advanced tab.. Make sure the default open mode is set to shared, along with selecting record level locking.

I may have a solution

If I grant create/delete priviliges to each user in the Public folder where the DB is installed, then shared access works. The folder belongs to my manager, and contains a number of databases. I'm not sure I like this solution as itcould potentially cause problems if a user inadvertently deleted something by mistake.
    But it does work.