Unanswered: Loading Sybase JDBC driver into Oracle fails

We're an Oracle shop (8.1.7, 9.2.4) but we have a couple of Sybase databases we need to query. Ideally this happens from a Java Stored Procedure in Oracle.

So I've been trying to load the Sybase JDBC JConnect 5.5 driver into Oracle with loadjava -u user/pass@sid -f -r -v -o -synonym -g public jconn2.jar. This fails with loads of ORA-29534 "could not be resolved" errors, and a

errors : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybXAResource11
    ORA-29545: badly formed class: verifyReturnCode
    overrides a final method

The jar works fine running at the command line, but that's not useful to us, since we need to call the procedure from DBMS_JOB.

Is it really necessary to load the JDBC driver into Oracle in order to do this? If so, how do we get around this problem? I tried the I-Net Software driver for Sybase which I found online, and which loaded and worked fine; but of course I don't look forward to asking my boss to shell out for another bit of software when we have the Sybase client already.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Roger Pearse

Quote Originally Posted by roger_pearse
    We're an Oracle shop (8.1.7, 9.2.4) but we have a couple of Sybase databases we need to query. Ideally this happens from a Java Stored Procedure in Oracle.

So I've been trying to load the Sybase JDBC JConnect 5.5 driver into Oracle with loadjava -u user/pass@sid -f -r -v -o -synonym -g public jconn2.jar. This fails with loads of ORA-29534 "could not be resolved" errors, and a

ORA-29545: badly formed class: verifyReturnCode
    overrides a final method
    Bob Maggio, whose name I found plaintively asking the same question 2 years ago and emailed, has kindly emailed me back with the trick you need:

-- start--
    First, grant this permission to the schema/user:

exec dbms_java.grant_permission('USERNAME','SYSracle.aurora.security.JServerPermission','Verifier ', '' );

This allows the the classes to be tagged as VALID and not have the Oracle Aurora Verifier check the dependencies.

Next, the drivers can be loaded from DOS using:

loadjava -u USERNAME/PASSWORD@service_name -o -f -r -v -noverify c:\jconn2.jar
    loadjava -u USERNAME/PASSWORD@service_name -o -f -r -v -noverify c:\jTDS2.jar

Then a second permission needs to be issued:

exec
    dbms_java.grant_permission( 'USERNAME','SYS:java.net.SocketPermission',
    'SYBASESERVERADDRESS:5000', 'connect, resolve' );

USERNAME = your Oracle userid
    SYBASESERVERADDRESS = domain name or ip address of the Sybase server
    5000 = the port no on which Sybase is listening

This allows the user to access the Aurora JVM SocketPermission to connect and resolve the specified host.
    ---end--

This loads jconn2.jar fine. I still get some problems with jTDS2.jar, but then I don't find I need this from the command line anyway.

Now my problem is that when I run my code it complains:

ignored:java.sql.SQLException: JZ0SJ: Metadata accessor information was not
    found on this database. Please install the required tables as mentioned in the
    jConnect documentation.

Roger Pearse

Quote Originally Posted by roger_pearse
    Now my problem is that when I run my code it complains:

ignored:java.sql.SQLException: JZ0SJ: Metadata accessor information was not
    found on this database. Please install the required tables as mentioned in the
    jConnect documentation.
    Ignore this: I'd left in some stuff from the I-net software driver sample, which obtained metadata about the driver version. Once I removed this my code worked just fine! And it didn't need the jTDS2.jar.

Sorry to reply to my own posts, but I looked in vain online for an answer. Now we have one.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Hi,

I have tried to execute loadjava for the jconn2.jar file. However, it was throwing the following message.
    errors : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybConnectionProxy
    ORA-29534: referenced object DBO.com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybXAResource11 could not be resolved
    errors : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybPooledConnection
    ORA-29534: referenced object DBO.com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybConnectionProxy could not be resolved
    errors : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybXAConnection
    ORA-29534: referenced object DBO.com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybPooledConnection could not be resolved
    skipping : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybDataSource
    skipping : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybDataSource$UrlProvider
    errors : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybXADataSource
    ORA-29534: referenced object DBO.com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybXAConnection could not be resolved
    errors : class com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybXAResource
    ORA-29534: referenced object DBO.com/sybase/jdbc2/jdbc/SybXAConnection could not be resolved

I have traced the class of referenced objects, the problem caused should be "ORA-29545: badly formed class: verifyReturnCode overrides a final method".

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Angus Wong