Cool Unanswered: Access vs. ColdFusion for GUI

We have an Access database for which we want to develop a new front end to allow everyone in the organization to use it. Basically, it's a database of contact information, and people will mostly use it to look up a phone number, address or email address. We also want to be able to add the contact to our Outlook contacts, and to click on the email address and have Outlook open a new email. There are about 2,000 names in the database. I know all of this can be done in Access.

However, the suggestion came about that we use ColdFusion, because we could put it online someday (lotta issues here about making this info public, but that's another story). I'm not sure how 'interactive' it would need to be. I don't know much about CF, but someone else does, and we have the software already.

Soooo, what do you all think about ColdFusion vs. Access for this project? Will either be a lot faster than the other to develop? What are the benefits of using a browser interface? (Everyone here has Access on their PCs)

Well, if you are putting it online (or even on your intranet for that matter), at some point you will need to look at using a real DBMS as opposed to access.. That being done or not, you will REALLY want to go ahead and program for the web, as Access doesn't have a good method on communicating on the web (don't get me started on DAP's). Anyway, to answer your question, I think coldfusion might be the way to go, although if you have dreamweaver I would just look at using a language such as ASP, .NET or PHP to interface with the data.

more info?

We currently don't have an intranet, but plan on it 'someday'. I've done some ASP programming for a class project, but not for work. Would ASP be the better option if we want to keep it in Access, or would putting all the data in ColdFusion be better? BTW, is ColdFusion a full database or just an interface-developer? It just seems for the amount of use this database will likely get, SQL is waay to big to think about.

Coldfusion is not a DB itself, but it will provide you with building an interface to a DB. I haven't used CF before, so I don't know much about using it, but from what I am hearing you describe ASP should suit your needs just fine, and you MIGHT get away with using an access DB, depending on traffic and such. Plus, you can easily set up IIS on a server machine to give you an intranet for accessing the info as well as a testing server for you to test your ASP code.

coldfusion is like asp or php -- not a database, a scripting language

access is just fine, thank you very much, for an intranet

access works just fine on the web, too (e.g. my sites)

as for dreamweaver, dreamweaver works really well with coldfusion (just look into who owns both products)

if you already have the coldfusion software, and someone who knows it, don't even think about anything else
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL