Thread: help i am new

Unhappy Unanswered: help i am new

in access i have a table set up with 7 columns of info and 182 rows. i have a form that i can add new records to that table. now i need to take that info. and add 10 more new things to it(one has to be an auto number) and then save it to a new table. then be able to take that info(with all 17 columns) and be able to put it into the report that i have made up for it.
    Please, please help?
    Thanks,

Chad Bross

Too vague on "add 10 more new things". Columns/fields or rows?

As far as the report, if it were 10 new fields, just add the field names to the report after you point the report to your new table.

Smile

I take it you're familiar with Excel spreadsheets since you said 'columns' instead of 'fields', and 'rows' instead of 'records'.

First, you should make a copy of your table for safe-keeping. I think you said you wanted to create a new table anyway.

In the new table, add your fields through Table Design View. Make sure you specify data types and validation criteria carefully so any possible valid thing will be accepted. Autonumber is a possible data type, so that's easy, unless you need something other than 1,2,3, because it just runs numbers in order as records are added. This has to be done, and be done right, before you proceed.

If you want the form or report to list the records in a certain order, or only show certain records, you should create a query next. Here is where you choose a sort order and criteria, such as Date >= 01/01/2000.

Next, you're going to need to either update your current form or create a new one to include all the fields. If the form you have is nice, I'd suggest updating it. There is a form wizard, but I've never seen it look good enough to use without a lot of changes.

Next, you'll need to create a report. Like the form wizard, it never comes out as a finished product, but is a good place to start.

If you're going to be using Access a lot, check out Teach Yourself Access in 21 Days. I found it very helpful.

thank you

Lisa,
    Thank you for your help, i will give this a chance. Yes I am pretty good with excel (rows,columns) but should have remembered (fields). My company kinda hung me out to dry with this data base they expect me to do. Well once agian I want to thank you for your help.
    Chad M Bross