Question Unanswered: ?events for unbound calculated form control?

I would like to trigger an event procedure when an unbound calculated textbox changes value (due to a change in one of its argument controls).

The AfterUpdate and OnChange events don't seem to apply to a calculated field. Anyone know what events are triggered when a calc. field updates itself?

Here's the control's source:

=[curQuoteBaseFee]+[curQuoteStopsFee]+[curQuoteAMFee]+[curQuoteHolidayFee]+[curQuoteHrsPrebookedFee]

I would like to run a sub-routine whenever it changes due to a change in any of the cur fields shown. (It automatically updates itself...I just want to catch that.)

Thanks,
    David

Provided Answers: 1
    Just create your sub and call it from the afterupdate event of all the individual fields.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I know I can do that, but it seems the least efficient method. If I have 5 calculated fields, each with 5 source controls, that's 25 events that need code instead of 5. Isn't there some event that is triggered when a calc. control is recalculated/updated?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud
    Hi Davidmound,

I just created a simple database to do what I think you are kinda asking, if I understand you correctly. What I did was created a few fields i.e.:
    Items, Cost, Quantity. Then I created a calculated field to total up the Cost x Quantity. What I did then was created a small line in VBA that did this:
    Whenever the quantity in the field changed to give me a MessageBox noting it was in fact being changed. I placed the code in the OnChange event of the FORM itself, not on any control. Anyway being as I'm not quite the Pro just yet I did get this first part of your hurdle accomplished, I think. See attached below. It alerts you that your "Total" field has changed be it because your Cost or Quantity changed, the Total just changed as a result of that and you get the message box. Now, you just need to figure out a way to make it pass when the value did not change. See, it gives you the message when you add a new item just the same, only I didn't know how to make it just take the entry without running the line of code. Anyhow, I tried to help some and hope this does to some degree.

have a nice one,

Bud
    Uh correction, I placed it in the BeforeUpdate event of the form.

Here is the attachment, sorry about that

Bud
    Attached Files Attached Files

how about a cheat ...use the Form_Dirty() event to hide the calculated controls and display a Recalculate button.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    how about a cheat ...use the Form_Dirty() event to hide the calculated controls and display a Recalculate button.

izy
    HI izyrider and thanks, but could you explain how you do that? I know where the FormDirty part is,but how do you make it do what you just said? Help out a person not that highly advanced.

thanks
    Bud

one possibility:

dim CalcsAreHidden as boolean 'a form-wide variable

private sub Form_Dirty()
    if CalcsAreHidden then exit sub
    thisCalcBox.visible = false
    thatCalcBox.visible = false
    anotherCalcBox.visible = false
    myRecalcButton.visible = true
    CalcsAreHidden = true
    end sub

private sub myRecalcButton_Click()
    thisCalcBox.visible = true
    thisCalcBox.setfocus 'setfocus to any .visible .enabled control except the Recalc button
    thatCalcBox.visible = true
    anotherCalcBox.visible = true
    myRecalcButton.visible = false
    'and now do whatever you do to recalculate your boxes
    'here
    'here
    'and here
    CalcsAreHidden = false
    end sub

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thanks to all of you for trying, but there are many fields on the form, so a form-wide update event would use mucho resources unnecessarily. As for the 'recalculate' button, again, so many fields change the calculated fields that the user would recalculating a dozen times.

If no one knows an event for the calculated field, I will have to use the afterupdate event on each of the fields used in the calculation.

Thanks again,
    David