Unanswered: searching a string in gzip files

whats the command to search for a string in gzipped file?or how to search for a pattern in *.gz file ?

Cool

Try:
    Code:
    gunzip -c MyFile.gz|grep 'pattern'

NOTE: gz suffix added for clarity only.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

thanks for your reply. Even this works
    gzcat <filename> |grep <pattern>
    Well, do you have any suggestion how to speed up the search if the file size is huge? For. eg. if you have over 1000 gz files, how can I fastern the search process?
    thanks in advance.

Cool

Divide and conquer.

Issue gzcat in background (&) for different file patterns or diff. directories!
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Cool

Divide and conquer.

Issue gzcat|gzip in background (&) for different file patterns or diff. directories!

Do you think grep or egrep will work for searching more than 50,000 strings?
    For. eg :
    Assume you have over 50,000 strings to be searched in the file list. If I do ..
    cat <filename> | grep -E <strings> will this work? Well, I never tried for over 50 but I dont think (since there may b some limitation for grep) this will work?
    what do u say?
    what could be soulution for this?
    thanks in advance.

split (man split) up your file of strings to search for into 'managable' files and and do your grep-ping in the 'divide-and-conquer' manner outlined above - combining the result(s) at the end.

OR

if your searchable strings have some type of commonality between them, try to identify a regex describing the strings and use it with egrep.
    vlad
    +-----------------------+
    | #include <disclaimer.h> |
    +-----------------------+

In your case if I split my string file (or pattern file) of 50,000 strings into 50 files (1000 strings/file) and if I have 20 files to be scanned accross the strings, 50*20 times iteration will occur!
    i.e. gzcat <file to be searched.gz> |fgrep -f <string1.file>

I tested for 1000 strings in a file against 672,593 lines of txt file. It took 4.50mins. So it would be 4.5*50*20 mins for the whole!!!! But that could be reduced if I run multiple processes in background.

Is there better way I can do it?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by deebee
    In your case if I split my string file (or pattern file) of 50,000 strings into 50 files (1000 strings/file) and if I have 20 files to be scanned accross the strings, 50*20 times iteration will occur!
    i.e. gzcat <file to be searched.gz> |fgrep -f <string1.file>

I tested for 1000 strings in a file against 672,593 lines of txt file. It took 4.50mins. So it would be 4.5*50*20 mins for the whole!!!! But that could be reduced if I run multiple processes in background.

Is there better way I can do it?
    Maybe you could try something like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/ksh
    patt_file=50000patterns.txt
    split -5000 $patt_file $patt_file.     
    dir=.             #<= Directory where the target files are
    result_file=/tmp/patternfnd.result
    rm -f $result_file.*
    n=0
    for p in $(ls $patt_file.??)
    do
      i=0
      for f in $(find $dir -name '*.gz') 
      do
        gzcat $f|fgrep -nf $p >${result_file}.P${n}F${i} &
        (( i += 1 ))
      done    
      (( n += 1 ))
    done

PS: Remember to wait for all proc's to finish!
    Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 08-06-04 at 17:43.

Cool

DBForums Server seems to be runnning slow today.